At Softstar we take consistency very seriously. We invest a lot in training and equipment to minimize differences from shoe to shoe. Most of our patterns are die cut, or traced to aluminum patterns to ensure uniformity. However, the soft style handcrafted construction we use can result in variability that your sensitive foot may notice.
There are a few key reasons that a new pair may differ in feel from another:
1. New Shoes vs. Worn Shoes: Our shoes are so soft and natural that they will stretch and form to your feet over time. Typically, new shoes feel tighter than the ones you have broken in over several weeks, months or years.
2. Leather: softness, thickness and texture of natural leather will vary slightly from hide to hide. No two cows are exactly the same! Perforated leather also feels and sews differently from smooth or shiny or suede leather. All of our leather will eventually form to your foot.
3. Soles for RunAmocs and Hawthorne Chukkas: These shoes are also die cut to the same size each and every time, but have an extra process to adhere the Vibram rubber or leather outer soles. This soling process involves hand trimming the final product, so the shape and length of the outer sole can have subtle variations from shoe to shoe. However, the innersole and interior shape and volume of the shoe will be consistent. Therefore, if you hold up 2 different pairs in the same size you may see the outer soles may not match up perfectly, but the upper and inside volume and interior length are all cut identically. Also, heat will cause Vibram soles to shrink over time. Campfires, heaters and even just a hot sidewalk will result in some minor shrinkage over time, meaning further discrepancies in length between old and new pairs.
4. Upgraded Design: Over time, we may make changes to improve the design of a shoe, but if these changes affect the fit then you will be notified on that shoes' product page before you checkout.
5. Changing Feet: Keep in mind that if you are in the process of switching from more traditional cushioned shoes to minimal shoes then you may find that over time your feet are spreading out more and getting wider and longer as they get healthier and stronger.