Do You Have Pain in the Ball of Your Foot? How to Diagnose and Treat Capsulitis
When you mention foot injuries, most people think of Achilles tendonitis, stress fractures or the dreaded plantar fasciitis. While these afflictions seem to be the most popular, especially among runners, it is possible that pain in your forefoot could be the result of another common ailment: capsulitis.
No, it isn't the name of a Greek war hero. Capsulitis is a condition that affects the joints behind your toes. These joints are covered in ligaments that form capsules to help keep your bones moving smoothly. If those capsules become inflamed then you have capsulitis. Although this can happen to any joint in your body, it seems to be most common in the ball of your foot, especially behind your second toe.
So how do you know if you have capsulitis? It can be a painful condition, often accompanied by swelling and redness in the affected area. Walking with the inflamed capsules will often feel like you're landing on a stone with every step. If left untreated, chronic capsulitis can lead to the formation of painful calluses that feel as if they have a core or seed inside of them.
According to Dr. Ray McClanahan, podiatrist at Northwest Foot and Ankle, capsulitis is often caused by excessive weight-bearing beneath the affected toe joint, but these factors can increase the likelihood of the inflammation developing:
- Extreme bunion deformity.
- A second toe that is longer than your first toe.
- An unstable foot arch.
- Tight calf muscles on your involved side.
- Imbalance between the muscles on top of and below your feet (extensors and flexors).
- Regular use of footwear with an elevated heel, tapered toe box and/or toe-spring.
Dr. McClanahan believes that toe springs (shoe designs that force toes to be held in an upward position) and tapered toe boxes may be the most common causes of capsulitis. Both of these features, often found in conventional shoes, alter the way weight is distributed on our feet when we walk. Toe springs increase pressure under the joints where capsulitis often occurs, and tapered toe boxes squeeze your toes together, often taking much weight off the big toe and distributing it to the second toe.
The good news is that capsulitis can often be relieved with simple non-surgical treatment, especially if it is caught at an early stage. Here are Dr. McClanahan's recommendations for dealing with the condition:
- Rest: reducing weight-bearing activities can help control your symptoms.
- Ice: icing your affected area can minimize your pain and swelling.
- Taping or Splinting: proper taping helps align your involved toe and prevents your toe from drifting.
- Stretching: stretching may be particularly important for those who have tight calf muscles or foot extensor/flexor imbalance.
- Shoe Therapy: shoes with little or no toe-spring and wide toe boxes may be most helpful. Also, metatarsal pads placed in your shoe can help return your foot’s fat pad to its rightful, protective location under your metatarsal heads.
- Anti-Inflammatory Agents: supplements or medications can help reduce pain and swelling.
For more information on finding for shoes that allow your feet to move and develop naturally, check out our Barefoot Shoes Shopping Tips. Please remember that it is always recommended to seek the advice of a medical professional for an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.
For more information: Dr. Ray McClanahan. "Capsulitis" Correct Toes (July 1, 2013)
- ►August 2014 (3)
- ►July 2014 (4)
- ►June 2014 (3)
- ►May 2014 (5)
- ►April 2014 (3)
- ►March 2014 (3)
- ►February 2014 (3)
- ►January 2014 (2)
- ►December 2013 (6)
- Happy Thanksgiving! Holiday Shopping Tips and Ideas from the Elves
- GIVEAWAY! One-of-a-Kind Green Merry Mocs
- Holiday Shipping for Soft Star Shoes
- Tips for Choosing Minimalist Boots and Winter Shoes
- GIVEAWAY: Win a Free Pair of Very Unique Merry Mocs!
- We Have a Winner for Our Halloween Costume Contest!
- Help Us Pick a New Leather Color
- Shoe Artisans Share New Ideas at the Soft Star Workshop
- Heartfelt Obituary for Red Dash
- Monkeys and Elves Unite! Soft Star Teams Up with Luna Sandals
- Soft Star Halloween Costume Photo Contest… and a Secret from the Elves
- Knee Arthritis? Change Your Shoes for Prevention and Treatment
- We Have a Sweepstakes Winner! And More to Come...
- ►September 2013 (5)
- ►August 2013 (5)
- ►July 2013 (5)
- ►June 2013 (4)
- Should Trail Shoes Be Thicker Than Street Shoes? Maybe Not...
- Soft Star Survey: Receive a Free $5 Gift Card and a Chance to Win $100 Cash!
- Elves Getting Dirty! Soft Star Volunteers at SAGE Community Gardens
- First Sneak Peek at the New Soft Star Ballet Flat!
- Maker's Wild Documentary: Go Behind the Scenes at Soft Star Shoes
- Are High Heels Giving You Hammer Toes? Tips for Prevention and Treatment
- Intrigued by Barefoot Running? Start this Weekend with International Barefoot Running Day!
- Are Those Shoes Made of Wood?
- Wikler's Quest for Healthy Children's Feet
- Michael Sandler Visit and Workshop – Barefoot Walking Book Review and GIVEAWAY!
- Thinking of Boston
- How Fast Do Children's Feet Grow?
- Barefoot Pioneers: the People Who Taught Us "Barefoot is Best"
- Caballo Blanco's Legacy Lives On: Tom Norwood Returns from Copper Canyon
- Book Review: Overthinking the Marathon by Ray Charbonneau
- Reinventing the Hammer: OSU Students Bring Their Skills to Soft Star
- An Olympic Thank You! Help Missy Franklin Swim for MS
- The Mighty Arch, Part 2: Strengthen Your Arches to Treat and Prevent Foot Pain
- Running Green: Soft Star Shoes at the Portland Shamrock Run
- Winter Playday at the Soft Star Workshop
- The Mighty Arch, Part 1: A Natural Cure for Plantar Fasciitis?
- ►February 2013 (4)
- ►January 2013 (1)
- ►December 2012 (5)
- A Barefoot Running Book for Kids (Includes Free Lesson in Consumerism) + GIVEAWAY!
- Happy Thanksgiving! Turkey Shoes and Small Business
- Infographic: How to Choose Barefoot Shoes
- Rally 4 Jillie!
- Gifts for Her this Holiday Season - Fitting Tassels
- Sneak Peek at New Shoes for Women and Men - Vote for a Name!
- Soft Star Shoes for Mari's Place
- Introducing Youth Dash and Phoenix Boots
- Sneak Peek of the New Youth Dash - Vote for Your Favorite Color!
- And the Winner Is...
- Race, Walk or Skip for the Cure!
- Caption Contest Finalists - Vote for Your Favorite!
- Soft Star Caption Contest – Win a Free DVD of Barefoot Running, the Movie!
- ►September 2012 (3)
- ►August 2012 (3)
- ►June 2012 (3)
- ►May 2012 (2)
- ►April 2012 (2)
- ►March 2012 (1)
- ►February 2012 (3)
- ►January 2012 (2)
- ►December 2011 (4)
- ►November 2011 (3)
- ►October 2011 (3)
- ►September 2011 (4)
- ►August 2011 (4)
- ►July 2011 (5)
- ►June 2011 (3)
- ►May 2011 (5)
- ►April 2011 (3)
- ►March 2011 (2)
- ►February 2011 (4)
- ►January 2011 (3)
- ►November 2010 (4)
- ►October 2010 (3)
- ►August 2010 (2)
- ►July 2010 (1)
- ►May 2010 (3)
- ►April 2010 (4)
- ►March 2010 (3)
- ►February 2010 (9)
- ►January 2010 (1)
- ►December 2009 (3)
- ►November 2009 (2)
- ►October 2009 (6)
- ►September 2009 (3)
- ►August 2009 (3)
- ►July 2009 (2)
- ►June 2009 (3)
- ►May 2009 (3)
- ►April 2009 (2)
- ►March 2009 (6)
- ►February 2009 (2)
- ►January 2009 (4)
- ►December 2008 (3)
- ►November 2008 (4)
- ►October 2008 (4)
- ►August 2008 (4)
- ►July 2008 (2)
- ►June 2008 (6)
- ►May 2008 (4)
- ►April 2008 (7)
- ►March 2008 (2)
- ►February 2008 (2)
- ►January 2008 (4)
- ►November 2007 (2)
- ►October 2007 (5)
- ►September 2007 (2)
- ►August 2007 (2)
- ►July 2007 (3)
- ►June 2007 (2)
- ►May 2007 (2)
- ►April 2007 (2)
- ►March 2007 (4)
- ►February 2007 (2)
- ►January 2007 (2)
- ►December 2006 (1)
- ►November 2006 (4)
- ►October 2006 (3)
- ►September 2006 (4)
- ►August 2006 (5)
- ►July 2006 (4)
- ►June 2006 (5)