Playday 2.0 – Vote for Your Favorite New Shoes!
As some of you may recall, the Soft Star elves held our first playday back in March. We liked it so much we decided to try it again! Last week, we closed our shop for half a day and encouraged everyone to work on a new shoe design.
Once again, we were both surprised and pleased with what our staff could invent in a mere 4 hours. There are a lot of great ideas floating around in our heads, but having the space, time and joy to focus on them made for an energizing afternoon. While the real intent of playday is to inject more fun into our work, we ended up with some wonderful ideas to share.
Now we are curious to know what YOU think! Listed below is an overview of our playday projects. We would love for you to look them over and vote for your favorites at the bottom of this post. We would also like to hear any comments or opinions you have to offer about your dream shoe.
1. The Merry Moc
Elves Jodi and Tesla teamed up together to combine our existing Merry Jane pattern with our moccasin sole. The result was a "Merry-Moc" with a cozy sheepskin innersole and soft suede outersole. They could be used as a very fancy indoor-shoe/slipper or classroom shoe that feels heavenly on your feet. They even made a second pair with a street sole barged onto on the bottom to be more durable for outdoor use (this is the green pair).
2. The Marache
Elf Martin, with no experience in sewing or shoe design, decided to try his hand at a pair of homemade huaraches following online instructions and made his very first shoe! Using a 5mm Vibram trail sole coated with green suede, a simple nylon cord ties the shoe around the foot. If Soft Star took on a huarache-style sandal, we would work to develop it into our own unique design.
3. Leah's Layers
Elf Leah created a simple slip-on sandal by sewing a layer of suede onto a Rambler sole, then weaving strips of leather across the top to keep the foot in place (and to look awesome).
4. The Moc-erina
Many of our customers ask if we make ballet flat shoes, which inspired elves Gwen and Karen to team up together and give it a shot. They created four different styles, each featuring our thin and minimalist Moc3 sole with different aesthetic designs for a slip-on upper. Please note that these would be for casual wear, not for dancing en pointe!
5. The Kasual Keita
Not to be confused with the cozy Keita winter shoe, Elf Keita’s latest sandal design uses a unique pattern of leather straps to hold feet onto a suede-lined rubber sole. Note the small piece of elastic sewn onto the rear strap to keep the foot snug! Keita experimented with both shiny platinum and shiny pewter leather for this dressy, minimal sandal.
6. The Hava
Elf Hava took the time to cut several long tassel-like strips of suede leather to give the back of her sandal both style and versatility for lacing. Wider strips of smooth leather cover the top of the foot, which can be adjusted for tightness. She used our Rambler sole with brown suede leather.
7. The Sarandal
The first design by Elf Sarah! She used our new and very pliable Vibram Newflex sole with her own pattern for uppers that resemble a stripped-down Merry Jane. A Velcro strap holds the sandal securely around the ankle.
So there you have it! That’s our lineup for our second successful playday (Note to guys: we realize that most of these shoes are women's styles, but fear not—we'll have a future playday focusing on manly shoes). Remember to cast your vote for the shoe you like best, and feel free to share your thoughts by leaving a comment below. You can vote for more than one.
- ►December 2014 (2)
- Introducing One of a Kind Shoes - Same Day Shipping with No Design-Your-Own Fees
- More Than Meets the Eye: Tim's Handmade Transformers Shoes
- Help Families in Need by Sharing What Makes you Thankful!
- Travel GIVEAWAY: Win a Free Pair of Rogue Shoes + a Travel Bag from RAGGEDedge Gear!
- Shopping Online? Finding Your Shoe Size Just Got Faster, Easier and More Accurate!
- 22-Year-Old Leather Moccasins Still Looking Good!
- Show Us Your BEST Soft Star Halloween Costume!
- Mindful Running Interview with Barefoot Guru Michael Sandler
- Show Your Team Colors! Tim's Special OSU Beaver Football Shoes
- Treatment and Removal of Plantar Warts - Kids' Foot Health
- Introducing SUPER SWATCHES for Local Soft Star Customers
- The History of Tassels—Fitting Tassels Now Available on the Soft Star Website
- Time for Our HALLOWEEN CONTEST: Win Handmade Shoes to Match Your Costume!
- BIG NEWS: Soft Star's New Website and New Shoe Visualizer
- "Boss of the Moss" Mick Dodge Wears Soft Star Shoes on National Geographic Series
- Need Spectacular Shoes for Fall? Introducing Autumn Moccasins!
- BATTLE FOR THE INTERNET: Help Small Businesses by Speaking Up for Net Neutrality
- ►August 2014 (3)
- ►July 2014 (4)
- ►June 2014 (3)
- ►May 2014 (5)
- ►April 2014 (3)
- ►March 2014 (3)
- ►February 2014 (3)
- ►January 2014 (2)
- ►December 2013 (6)
- Happy Thanksgiving! Holiday Shopping Tips and Ideas from the Elves
- GIVEAWAY! One-of-a-Kind Green Merry Mocs
- Holiday Shipping for Soft Star Shoes
- Tips for Choosing Minimalist Boots and Winter Shoes
- GIVEAWAY: Win a Free Pair of Very Unique Merry Mocs!
- We Have a Winner for Our Halloween Costume Contest!
- Help Us Pick a New Leather Color
- Shoe Artisans Share New Ideas at the Soft Star Workshop
- Heartfelt Obituary for Red Dash
- Monkeys and Elves Unite! Soft Star Teams Up with Luna Sandals
- Soft Star Halloween Costume Photo Contest… and a Secret from the Elves
- Knee Arthritis? Change Your Shoes for Prevention and Treatment
- We Have a Sweepstakes Winner! And More to Come...
- ►September 2013 (5)
- ►August 2013 (5)
- ►July 2013 (5)
- ►June 2013 (4)
- Should Trail Shoes Be Thicker Than Street Shoes? Maybe Not...
- Soft Star Survey: Receive a Free $5 Gift Card and a Chance to Win $100 Cash!
- Elves Getting Dirty! Soft Star Volunteers at SAGE Community Gardens
- First Sneak Peek at the New Soft Star Ballet Flat!
- Maker's Wild Documentary: Go Behind the Scenes at Soft Star Shoes
- Are High Heels Giving You Hammer Toes? Tips for Prevention and Treatment
- Intrigued by Barefoot Running? Start this Weekend with International Barefoot Running Day!
- Are Those Shoes Made of Wood?
- Wikler's Quest for Healthy Children's Feet
- Michael Sandler Visit and Workshop – Barefoot Walking Book Review and GIVEAWAY!
- Thinking of Boston
- How Fast Do Children's Feet Grow?
- Barefoot Pioneers: the People Who Taught Us "Barefoot is Best"
- Caballo Blanco's Legacy Lives On: Tom Norwood Returns from Copper Canyon
- Book Review: Overthinking the Marathon by Ray Charbonneau
- Reinventing the Hammer: OSU Students Bring Their Skills to Soft Star
- An Olympic Thank You! Help Missy Franklin Swim for MS
- The Mighty Arch, Part 2: Strengthen Your Arches to Treat and Prevent Foot Pain
- Running Green: Soft Star Shoes at the Portland Shamrock Run
- Winter Playday at the Soft Star Workshop
- The Mighty Arch, Part 1: A Natural Cure for Plantar Fasciitis?
- ►February 2013 (4)
- ►January 2013 (1)
- ►December 2012 (5)
- A Barefoot Running Book for Kids (Includes Free Lesson in Consumerism) + GIVEAWAY!
- Happy Thanksgiving! Turkey Shoes and Small Business
- Infographic: How to Choose Barefoot Shoes
- Rally 4 Jillie!
- Gifts for Her this Holiday Season - Fitting Tassels
- Sneak Peek at New Shoes for Women and Men - Vote for a Name!
- Soft Star Shoes for Mari's Place
- Introducing Youth Dash and Phoenix Boots
- Sneak Peek of the New Youth Dash - Vote for Your Favorite Color!
- And the Winner Is...
- Race, Walk or Skip for the Cure!
- Caption Contest Finalists - Vote for Your Favorite!
- Soft Star Caption Contest – Win a Free DVD of Barefoot Running, the Movie!
- ►September 2012 (3)
- ►August 2012 (3)
- ►June 2012 (3)
- ►May 2012 (2)
- ►April 2012 (2)
- ►March 2012 (1)
- ►February 2012 (3)
- ►January 2012 (2)
- ►December 2011 (4)
- ►November 2011 (3)
- ►October 2011 (3)
- ►September 2011 (4)
- ►August 2011 (4)
- ►July 2011 (5)
- ►June 2011 (3)
- ►May 2011 (5)
- ►April 2011 (3)
- ►March 2011 (2)
- ►February 2011 (4)
- ►January 2011 (3)
- ►November 2010 (4)
- ►October 2010 (3)
- ►August 2010 (2)
- ►July 2010 (1)
- ►May 2010 (3)
- ►April 2010 (4)
- ►March 2010 (3)
- ►February 2010 (9)
- ►January 2010 (1)
- ►December 2009 (3)
- ►November 2009 (2)
- ►October 2009 (6)
- ►September 2009 (3)
- ►August 2009 (3)
- ►July 2009 (2)
- ►June 2009 (3)
- ►May 2009 (3)
- ►April 2009 (2)
- ►March 2009 (6)
- ►February 2009 (2)
- ►January 2009 (4)
- ►December 2008 (3)
- ►November 2008 (4)
- ►October 2008 (4)
- ►August 2008 (4)
- ►July 2008 (2)
- ►June 2008 (5)
- ►May 2008 (4)
- ►April 2008 (7)
- ►March 2008 (2)
- ►February 2008 (2)
- ►January 2008 (4)
- ►November 2007 (2)
- ►October 2007 (5)
- ►September 2007 (2)
- ►August 2007 (2)
- ►July 2007 (3)
- ►June 2007 (2)
- ►May 2007 (2)
- ►April 2007 (2)
- ►March 2007 (4)
- ►February 2007 (2)
- ►January 2007 (2)
- ►December 2006 (1)
- ►November 2006 (4)
- ►October 2006 (3)
- ►September 2006 (4)
- ►August 2006 (5)
- ►July 2006 (4)
- ►June 2006 (5)