Elves Remember 2013 - Year in Review
It's been a busy year at the Soft Star workshop. Before we ring in the new year, we'd like to share with you the significant memories and adventures that affected our workshop and community in 2013.
Elves Volunteer at SAGE Garden
Last spring, we had our first Soft Star volunteer day helping out at the local SAGE community garden! The food grown at SAGE is donated to local food banks and soup kitchens, providing fresh fruits and vegetables to families in our community who need them most. Our whole crew spent an afternoon getting dirty weeding, composting and planting a new plot of veggies, and we had a lot of fun in the process.
Maker's Wild Documentary
In April, we were honored to be the subject of a short documentary film that featured American manufacturers in the Pacific Northwest. The film followed a set of Dash RunAmocs as they were made step-by-step in our workshop, and also interviewed our founder Tim and co-owners Tricia and Larkin. The final product was released in May, and it's the first time our shoemaking process has been shown on screen in such detail.
Barefoot Runners Society Runs to the Coast
For the first time this year, Soft Star sponsored a barefoot/minimalist running team in the epic Hood to Coast Relay. Claiming to be the longest relay race in the world, the route covers 199 miles from Oregon's Mt. Hood to the coastal town of Seaside. A team from Barefoot Runner's Society entered the race and we were proud to support them. They sported their Soft Star t-shirts and gear on race day and finished successfully!
New Shoes and Materials
Our design elves are constantly at work developing new styles and finding ways to improve our existing designs. This year, we saw the introduction of our adult ballet flat, the Ballerine, as well as many new materials. We're proud to now offer a cork fabric option for certain shoes as well as a limited edition corduroy leather Merry Jane, highly sustainable vegetable tanned leather and a new turquoise perforated leather for our LITE RunAmocs. Rest assured, we're already planning a few more surprises for 2014.
Biggest Soft Star Shoe
Last August, we shattered or previous record and made our biggest shoe ever! The size 17 Original RunAmoc made every other shoe in our workshop look like a baby moccasin. The previous record was a size 16 from many years ago (so long that only Tim remembers it). Now we have to wonder how long this record will last.
Boston Marathon Tragedy
No, it wasn't all cheery in 2013. The tragedy of the Boston Marathon last spring was a somber experience for us and the nation as a whole. We were very excited to track the results of the historic race, and to follow some of our running friends who were managed to qualify this year. The unexpected bombing turned this exciting event into a memory of heartache and disbelief. Our hearts continue to go out to those who suffered and continue to suffer from the disaster, and we applaud those who push forward and face next year's marathon with courage and perseverance.
Congressman Peter DeFazio Delivers Our UPS Package
Very recently, we had a wonderful surprise in our workshop when Oregon Congressman Peter DeFazio showed up in a brown UPS uniform to drop off our daily delivery. DeFazio followed a UPS driver around for a day to visit local businesses and talk about their needs. We were happy to give him a tour of our workshop and a complimentary Soft Star hooded sweatshirt. His visit really made our day.
Michael Sandler Visit
Last April, our old friend and barefoot running guru Michael Sandler paid another visit to our workshop. We first met Michael several years ago when he gave a barefoot running class in nearby Eugene. He then paid us a visit and became a shoe tester, helping us develop our natural leather sole for our RunAmocs. This year, Michael was on tour promoting his new book Barefoot Walking, and took time out of his busy schedule to visit us again. He gave an insightful presentation to the elves about the benefits of barefoot walking and provide more feedback on our shoe designs.
A few weeks later, we were saddened to hear that Michael broke his femur after slipping on a rock in Colorado. Though the injury was very serious and resulted in heavy medical bills, Michael and his wife Jessica are finding meaning in this event and using it as an opportunity to publish a new book about overcoming tragedy.
Collaboration with Luna Sandals
The Lunar Monkeys up in Seattle have been friends of the Soft Star Elves for a long time, ever since we sent soling samples to Barefoot Ted when he worked to develop his huarache sandal design. This year, we grew closer to our Northwest neighbors.
First, we began talking to Luna's Sales Monkey, Tom Norwood, and were thrilled to hear he was running the 2013 Ultramarathon Caballo Blanco (formerly known the Copper Canyon Ultramarathon), the race made famous by the book Born to Run. Tom graciously let us interview him both before and after the race, and we were amazed to hear about his incredible experience.
Later in the year, we began a professional collaboration with Luna when we became official retailers of their wonderful sandals. You can now purchase their awesome running huaraches from our website, and we look forward to a growing relationship with another domestic company that shares our values.
Royal Baby Shoes
When the new Prince of Cambridge was born in July 2013, we thought it would be fun to send the royal family a special pair of baby moccasins to celebrate their new arrival. Elf Keoni was assigned the task to create something memorable and his wicked sewing skills surprised us all. The result was a beautiful pair of smooth leather Roo mocs that featured the flags of both the United States and the United Kingdom, one on each foot. The back of each shoe showed stars and the London skyline, respectively. We weren't the only ones who fell in love with these shoes, as they became our most popular Facebook post ever! We've never received so many comments and compliments on a photo and we're thrilled to hear that you all liked Keoni's handiwork as much as we did.
Our tiny town of Corvallis, Oregon rarely sees an inch of snow each year, but this December a cold spell brought the biggest snowfall in two decades. The deep powder caused many businesses in town to close due to unsafe driving conditions—including our workshop—but also transformed our quaint village into a winter wonderland. Every shop in town (that was still open) sold out of sleds within a few hours, skiers filled our streets and many of us spent our time off strolling through our neighborhoods enjoying the rare sight.
We hope you also had a fun and memorable year, and we wish you the best in 2014!
This post was posted in Community, In the Workshop and was tagged with baby, elves, oregon, shoes, snow, michael sandler, year, review, luna, sandals, 2013, barefoot runners society, brs, documentary, maker's wild, sage, volunteer, hood to coast, relay, monkeys, corvallis, 2014, new year, peter defazio, biggest shoe, community garden, huarches, royal
- ►July 2016 (2)
- ►June 2016 (3)
- ►May 2016 (4)
- ►April 2016 (1)
- ►March 2016 (5)
- ►February 2016 (2)
- ►January 2016 (3)
- ►December 2015 (4)
- Finally, a STUNNING, Eco-Friendly Alternative to Disposal Wrapping Paper!
- We're Breaking-Up with Grippy
- Pumpkin Shoes for Harvest Season
- The Best Slipper Gift Guide Ever!
- Families Visit FREE at America's National Parks!
- Wrap-Up Your Little Ones for the Holidays in Our NEW Very Merry Moccasins!
- Progress Update on New Soft Star Workshop - Fall 2015
- ►October 2015 (4)
- ►September 2015 (3)
- ►August 2015 (5)
- ►July 2015 (5)
- Top 10 Balance Games for Kids... of All Ages!
- Time to Play! Elves Have Fun and Get Creative at Spring 2015 Playday
- Snazzy New Colors for Buttercups and Ballerines
- GIVEAWAY: Diapers, Blocks and Shoes... Oh My! Enter to Win Our New Baby Prize Package
- Soft Star Style Bulletin: Chukkas Are Coming!
- We're Staging a Flip-Flop Intervention!
- ►May 2015 (4)
- Work Hard, Play Harder…Run Hardest?
- Transitioning to Barefoot Health PLUS RunAmoc Giveaway!
- UFC Champion Carlos Condit Tries Soft Star Shoes
- Mom and Career Elf
- Earth Day Giveaway: Celebrate Your Favorite Planet with Sustainable Goodies!
- Every Day is Bike-to-Work Day
- Happy National Pet Day! Can You Guess Which Pets Belong to Our Elves?
- ►March 2015 (6)
- ►February 2015 (2)
- ►January 2015 (5)
- ►December 2014 (5)
- Introducing One of a Kind Shoes - Same Day Shipping with No Design-Your-Own Fees
- More Than Meets the Eye: Tim's Handmade Transformers Shoes
- Help Families in Need by Sharing What Makes you Thankful!
- Travel GIVEAWAY: Win a Free Pair of Rogue Shoes + a Travel Bag from RAGGEDedge Gear!
- Shopping Online? Finding Your Shoe Size Just Got Faster, Easier and More Accurate!
- 22-Year-Old Leather Moccasins Still Looking Good!
- Show Us Your BEST Soft Star Halloween Costume!
- Mindful Running Interview with Barefoot Guru Michael Sandler
- Show Your Team Colors! Tim's Special OSU Beaver Football Shoes
- Treatment and Removal of Plantar Warts - Kids' Foot Health
- Introducing SUPER SWATCHES for Local Soft Star Customers
- The History of Tassels—Fitting Tassels Now Available on the Soft Star Website
- Time for Our HALLOWEEN CONTEST: Win Handmade Shoes to Match Your Costume!
- BIG NEWS: Soft Star's New Website and New Shoe Visualizer
- "Boss of the Moss" Mick Dodge Wears Soft Star Shoes on National Geographic Series
- Need Spectacular Shoes for Fall? Introducing Autumn Moccasins!
- BATTLE FOR THE INTERNET: Help Small Businesses by Speaking Up for Net Neutrality
- ►August 2014 (3)
- ►July 2014 (4)
- ►June 2014 (3)
- ►May 2014 (5)
- ►April 2014 (3)
- ►March 2014 (3)
- ►February 2014 (3)
- ►January 2014 (2)
- ►December 2013 (6)
- Happy Thanksgiving! Holiday Shopping Tips and Ideas from the Elves
- GIVEAWAY! One-of-a-Kind Green Merry Mocs
- 2013 Holiday Shipping for Soft Star Shoes
- Tips for Choosing Minimalist Boots and Winter Shoes
- GIVEAWAY: Win a Free Pair of Very Unique Merry Mocs!
- We Have a Winner for Our Halloween Costume Contest!
- Help Us Pick a New Leather Color
- Shoe Artisans Share New Ideas at the Soft Star Workshop
- Heartfelt Obituary for Red Dash
- Monkeys and Elves Unite! Soft Star Teams Up with Luna Sandals
- Soft Star Halloween Costume Photo Contest… and a Secret from the Elves
- Knee Arthritis? Change Your Shoes for Prevention and Treatment
- We Have a Sweepstakes Winner! And More to Come...
- ►September 2013 (5)
- ►August 2013 (5)
- ►July 2013 (5)
- ►June 2013 (4)
- Should Trail Shoes Be Thicker Than Street Shoes? Maybe Not...
- Soft Star Survey: Receive a Free $5 Gift Card and a Chance to Win $100 Cash!
- Elves Getting Dirty! Soft Star Volunteers at SAGE Community Gardens
- First Sneak Peek at the New Soft Star Ballet Flat!
- Maker's Wild Documentary: Go Behind the Scenes at Soft Star Shoes
- Are High Heels Giving You Hammer Toes? Tips for Prevention and Treatment
- Intrigued by Barefoot Running? Start this Weekend with International Barefoot Running Day!
- Are Those Shoes Made of Wood?
- Wikler's Quest for Healthy Children's Feet
- Michael Sandler Visit and Workshop – Barefoot Walking Book Review and GIVEAWAY!
- Thinking of Boston
- How Fast Do Children's Feet Grow?
- Barefoot Pioneers: the People Who Taught Us "Barefoot is Best"
- Caballo Blanco's Legacy Lives On: Tom Norwood Returns from Copper Canyon
- Book Review: Overthinking the Marathon by Ray Charbonneau
- Reinventing the Hammer: OSU Students Bring Their Skills to Soft Star
- An Olympic Thank You! Help Missy Franklin Swim for MS
- The Mighty Arch, Part 2: Strengthen Your Arches to Treat and Prevent Foot Pain
- Running Green: Soft Star Shoes at the Portland Shamrock Run
- Winter Playday at the Soft Star Workshop
- The Mighty Arch, Part 1: A Natural Cure for Plantar Fasciitis?
- ►February 2013 (4)
- ►January 2013 (1)
- ►December 2012 (5)
- A Barefoot Running Book for Kids (Includes Free Lesson in Consumerism) + GIVEAWAY!
- Happy Thanksgiving! Turkey Shoes and Small Business
- Infographic: How to Choose Barefoot Shoes
- Rally 4 Jillie!
- Gifts for Her this Holiday Season - Fitting Tassels
- Sneak Peek at New Shoes for Women and Men - Vote for a Name!
- ►October 2012 (6)
- ►September 2012 (3)
- ►August 2012 (3)
- ►June 2012 (3)
- ►May 2012 (2)
- ►April 2012 (2)
- ►March 2012 (1)
- ►February 2012 (3)
- ►January 2012 (2)
- ►December 2011 (4)
- ►November 2011 (3)
- ►October 2011 (3)
- ►September 2011 (4)
- ►August 2011 (4)
- ►July 2011 (5)
- ►June 2011 (3)
- ►May 2011 (5)
- ►April 2011 (3)
- ►March 2011 (2)
- ►February 2011 (4)
- ►January 2011 (3)
- ►November 2010 (4)
- ►October 2010 (2)
- ►August 2010 (2)
- ►July 2010 (1)
- ►May 2010 (3)
- ►April 2010 (4)
- ►March 2010 (3)
- ►February 2010 (9)
- ►January 2010 (1)
- ►December 2009 (3)
- ►November 2009 (2)
- ►October 2009 (5)
- ►September 2009 (3)
- ►August 2009 (3)
- ►July 2009 (2)
- ►June 2009 (3)
- ►May 2009 (3)
- ►April 2009 (2)
- ►March 2009 (6)
- ►February 2009 (2)
- ►January 2009 (4)
- ►December 2008 (3)
- ►November 2008 (4)
- ►October 2008 (4)
- ►August 2008 (4)
- ►July 2008 (2)
- ►June 2008 (4)
- ►May 2008 (4)
- ►April 2008 (7)
- ►March 2008 (2)
- ►February 2008 (2)
- ►January 2008 (4)
- ►November 2007 (2)
- ►October 2007 (5)
- ►September 2007 (1)
- ►August 2007 (2)
- ►July 2007 (3)
- ►June 2007 (2)
- ►May 2007 (2)
- ►April 2007 (2)
- ►March 2007 (4)
- ►February 2007 (2)
- ►January 2007 (2)
- ►December 2006 (1)
- ►November 2006 (4)
- ►October 2006 (3)
- ►September 2006 (4)
- ►August 2006 (5)
- ►July 2006 (4)
- ►June 2006 (5)