Tips for Choosing Minimalist Boots and Winter Shoes
It's boot season!
We receive a lot of inquiries about winter footwear this time of year. At Soft Star, we're proud to offer a selection of winter boots and shoes for all ages.
To help you make the best decisions for your feet, we've compiled a list of the most common questions we receive about our boots. If you're thinking about ordering a pair then you may find the following information very useful.
As a reminder, every one of our boots is handcrafted in our Oregon workshop from high quality smooth (full grain) leather. Lined with genuine sheepskin, our boots keep feet warm and cozy while naturally wicking away moisture. All of our boots feature flexible, zero-drop soles made from durable Vibram rubber. As with the rest of our shoes, our boots are designed to mold to the shape of your foot, not the other way around.
What kind of use are your boots suited for?
All of our boots are designed to keep feet flexible and warm for casual use in light winter conditions. This includes walking, light hiking and snow play for moderate amounts of time.
What is the temperature rating of your boots?
None of our boots have been tested for an official temperature rating because they are neither designed nor recommended for use in extreme winter conditions. Our boots were created with light winter play in mind.
We do feel our boots hold up well in our Oregon winters, with temperatures close to freezing. We also have customers in very cold climates, such as Finland and northern Alaska, who find our boots to be adequate for their environments. Please remember, however, that each person has a different tolerance for cold; what one person considers warm enough may be chilly for another.
If you need a boot for severe winter conditions, such as prolonged use in subzero temperatures, then we recommend you seek other footwear designed specifically for that purpose.
Are your boots waterproof?
No, but their smooth leather uppers are naturally water resistant. Using an appropriate leathercare product will further enhance protection against moisture. We recommend Bee Natural Rain and Snow as an excellent smooth leather waterproofer made from natural ingredients, and it can be purchased on our website. The rubber Vibram soles are already waterproof and require no treatment.
If you would like to protect the suede cuffs of our boots against moisture and damage then you will need a separate leathercare product designed specifically for suede, such as Bee Natural Suede Protector. Most people, however, find that treating the cuffs is not necessary for keeping their feet dry.
How long will the shoes last in the snow before they become wet?
It varies depending on how rough you and/or your kids are playing in the boots and how slushy your snow is becoming, but you can usually expect a couple hours of a high stakes snowball fight before you need to dry off. Using the leathercare products mentioned above will keep you dry longer, depending on how frequently you use them and how much you apply.
What's the deal with your sheepskin, and how does it compare to the sheepskin other brands use for boots?
At Soft Star, we use only real, high quality sheepskin hides that we cut ourselves. In this natural state, sheepskin is homeostatic and moisture-wicking, so it keeps your feet both warm and dry. Often, other companies claiming to offer genuine sheepskin boots are actually using sheepskin fibers that are blown into a synthetic matrix and glued to leather. These artificial textiles do not offer the warmth and natural wicking properties of our authentic hides.
Please note that while genuine sheepskin is incredibly cozy and beautiful, it is also delicate and can stretch under strain. While this helps the boot mold to your foot for a better fit, it can also be a concern if you have the habit of stepping off the back or sides of your heels while you walk. Doing so repeatedly may affect the shape of the boots in an uncomfortable way (kids usually don't need to worry about this since they don't put as much weight on their boots). The best way to prevent this is by insuring you purchase the correct size. For adults, we recommend selecting a boot size that fits very snugly at first, as they will stretch and mold to your foot over time. For children, growing room is important, so a little extra space is recommended. Proper care will give you many winters out of your handcrafted boot!
What are my choices for boots and winter shoes from Soft Star, and which one is right for me?
Below is a summary of our boot and winter shoe options. If you have any questions, feel free to contact our super friendly customer service elves (email@example.com or 866-763-2525).
Versatile Winter Boot/Shoe: North Star (Children)
|Our adorable North Star, available in kids' sizes 5–13, is suitable for a variety of brisk conditions. The sheepskin cuff can be worn up as a protective boot or rolled down as a cozy winter shoe, depending on the temperature and depth of snow. The standard version of this shoe includes a sheepskin innersole and cuff with plain leather uppers across the top of the foot, but if you design-your-own North Star then you can opt for a fully-lined version with sheepskin uppers for extra warmth. North Stars are secured with a lace that runs along the side of the boot.|
Warmest Winter Boot: Phoenix (All Ages)
|The Phoenix, our warmest and most protective boot, is available for children, youth and adults. The interior is fully lined with our genuine sheepskin and kept secure with a convenient zipper running up the side. Child Phoenix boots feature our 6mm Vibram Geo sole for optimal flexibility and traction with small feet. Youth and Adult boots are made with our zero drop Vibram Lightning sole, which offers increased durability and tread for heavier wear. Phoenix boots are a dream for keeping feet comfortable and dry all winter long.|
Winter Casual Shoe: Classic (Children)
|The Classic, one of the very first shoe patterns Tim developed when he founded Soft Star nearly 30 years ago, is still a favorite shoe year-round. Made from just one piece of leather, the shoe is sealed from all sides, making it an idea choice for keeping out water, snow and debris. Add sheepskin innersoles, either as a separate product inserted into the shoes or sewn-in when you design-your-own, for extra warmth on chilly days!|
Winter Casual Shoe: Rogue (Adult)
|If you're looking for something simple yet rugged for a winter stroll then the Rogue is our top pick. Breathe-o-Prene lining fits snugly around your foot to keep cold air out while providing ventilation so you don't oversweat. Add the included sheepskin innersoles for extra moisture-wicking warmth and your feet will stay cozy all day long! An 8mm Vibram Geo sole gives durability, traction and excellent zero-drop groundfeel. Use protective leathercare for increased protection against rain and snow.|
Winter Running: Dash RunAmoc (Adult)
|Looking to stay in shape in the chilly season? We hear from many customers who have enjoyed our line of RunAmoc shoes through snowy runs and winter activities. If you're looking for the best protection against cold and snow, we recommend our Dash RunAmocs made from smooth leather. As with our boots, this leather is naturally water resistant and can be made more so with the use of Bee Natural Rain and Snow, or a similar leathercare product. We recommend the 5mm Trail sole for the best traction on snow.|
This post was posted in In the Workshop and was tagged with play, sheepskin, shoes, snow, Winter, kids, children, boots, questions, temperature, rating, cold, freezing, durability, waterproof, water resistant
- ►August 2016 (4)
- ►July 2016 (2)
- ►June 2016 (3)
- ►May 2016 (4)
- ►April 2016 (1)
- ►March 2016 (5)
- ►February 2016 (2)
- ►January 2016 (3)
- ►December 2015 (4)
- Finally, a STUNNING, Eco-Friendly Alternative to Disposal Wrapping Paper!
- We're Breaking-Up with Grippy
- Pumpkin Shoes for Harvest Season
- The Best Slipper Gift Guide Ever!
- Families Visit FREE at America's National Parks!
- Wrap-Up Your Little Ones for the Holidays in Our NEW Very Merry Moccasins!
- Progress Update on New Soft Star Workshop - Fall 2015
- ►October 2015 (4)
- ►September 2015 (3)
- ►August 2015 (5)
- ►July 2015 (5)
- Top 10 Balance Games for Kids... of All Ages!
- Time to Play! Elves Have Fun and Get Creative at Spring 2015 Playday
- Snazzy New Colors for Buttercups and Ballerines
- GIVEAWAY: Diapers, Blocks and Shoes... Oh My! Enter to Win Our New Baby Prize Package
- Soft Star Style Bulletin: Chukkas Are Coming!
- We're Staging a Flip-Flop Intervention!
- ►May 2015 (4)
- Work Hard, Play Harder…Run Hardest?
- Transitioning to Barefoot Health PLUS RunAmoc Giveaway!
- UFC Champion Carlos Condit Tries Soft Star Shoes
- Mom and Career Elf
- Earth Day Giveaway: Celebrate Your Favorite Planet with Sustainable Goodies!
- Every Day is Bike-to-Work Day
- Happy National Pet Day! Can You Guess Which Pets Belong to Our Elves?
- ►March 2015 (6)
- ►February 2015 (2)
- ►January 2015 (5)
- ►December 2014 (5)
- Introducing One of a Kind Shoes - Same Day Shipping with No Design-Your-Own Fees
- More Than Meets the Eye: Tim's Handmade Transformers Shoes
- Help Families in Need by Sharing What Makes you Thankful!
- Travel GIVEAWAY: Win a Free Pair of Rogue Shoes + a Travel Bag from RAGGEDedge Gear!
- Shopping Online? Finding Your Shoe Size Just Got Faster, Easier and More Accurate!
- 22-Year-Old Leather Moccasins Still Looking Good!
- Show Us Your BEST Soft Star Halloween Costume!
- Mindful Running Interview with Barefoot Guru Michael Sandler
- Show Your Team Colors! Tim's Special OSU Beaver Football Shoes
- Treatment and Removal of Plantar Warts - Kids' Foot Health
- Introducing SUPER SWATCHES for Local Soft Star Customers
- The History of Tassels—Fitting Tassels Now Available on the Soft Star Website
- Time for Our HALLOWEEN CONTEST: Win Handmade Shoes to Match Your Costume!
- BIG NEWS: Soft Star's New Website and New Shoe Visualizer
- "Boss of the Moss" Mick Dodge Wears Soft Star Shoes on National Geographic Series
- Need Spectacular Shoes for Fall? Introducing Autumn Moccasins!
- BATTLE FOR THE INTERNET: Help Small Businesses by Speaking Up for Net Neutrality
- ►August 2014 (3)
- ►July 2014 (4)
- ►June 2014 (3)
- ►May 2014 (5)
- ►April 2014 (3)
- ►March 2014 (3)
- ►February 2014 (3)
- ►January 2014 (2)
- ►December 2013 (6)
- Happy Thanksgiving! Holiday Shopping Tips and Ideas from the Elves
- GIVEAWAY! One-of-a-Kind Green Merry Mocs
- 2013 Holiday Shipping for Soft Star Shoes
- Tips for Choosing Minimalist Boots and Winter Shoes
- GIVEAWAY: Win a Free Pair of Very Unique Merry Mocs!
- We Have a Winner for Our Halloween Costume Contest!
- Help Us Pick a New Leather Color
- Shoe Artisans Share New Ideas at the Soft Star Workshop
- Heartfelt Obituary for Red Dash
- Monkeys and Elves Unite! Soft Star Teams Up with Luna Sandals
- Soft Star Halloween Costume Photo Contest… and a Secret from the Elves
- Knee Arthritis? Change Your Shoes for Prevention and Treatment
- We Have a Sweepstakes Winner! And More to Come...
- ►September 2013 (5)
- ►August 2013 (5)
- ►July 2013 (5)
- ►June 2013 (4)
- Should Trail Shoes Be Thicker Than Street Shoes? Maybe Not...
- Soft Star Survey: Receive a Free $5 Gift Card and a Chance to Win $100 Cash!
- Elves Getting Dirty! Soft Star Volunteers at SAGE Community Gardens
- First Sneak Peek at the New Soft Star Ballet Flat!
- Maker's Wild Documentary: Go Behind the Scenes at Soft Star Shoes
- Are High Heels Giving You Hammer Toes? Tips for Prevention and Treatment
- Intrigued by Barefoot Running? Start this Weekend with International Barefoot Running Day!
- Are Those Shoes Made of Wood?
- Wikler's Quest for Healthy Children's Feet
- Michael Sandler Visit and Workshop – Barefoot Walking Book Review and GIVEAWAY!
- Thinking of Boston
- How Fast Do Children's Feet Grow?
- Barefoot Pioneers: the People Who Taught Us "Barefoot is Best"
- Caballo Blanco's Legacy Lives On: Tom Norwood Returns from Copper Canyon
- Book Review: Overthinking the Marathon by Ray Charbonneau
- Reinventing the Hammer: OSU Students Bring Their Skills to Soft Star
- An Olympic Thank You! Help Missy Franklin Swim for MS
- The Mighty Arch, Part 2: Strengthen Your Arches to Treat and Prevent Foot Pain
- Running Green: Soft Star Shoes at the Portland Shamrock Run
- Winter Playday at the Soft Star Workshop
- The Mighty Arch, Part 1: A Natural Cure for Plantar Fasciitis?
- ►February 2013 (4)
- ►January 2013 (1)
- ►December 2012 (5)
- A Barefoot Running Book for Kids (Includes Free Lesson in Consumerism) + GIVEAWAY!
- Happy Thanksgiving! Turkey Shoes and Small Business
- Infographic: How to Choose Barefoot Shoes
- Rally 4 Jillie!
- Gifts for Her this Holiday Season - Fitting Tassels
- Sneak Peek at New Shoes for Women and Men - Vote for a Name!
- ►October 2012 (6)
- ►September 2012 (3)
- ►August 2012 (3)
- ►June 2012 (3)
- ►May 2012 (2)
- ►April 2012 (2)
- ►March 2012 (1)
- ►February 2012 (3)
- ►January 2012 (2)
- ►December 2011 (4)
- ►November 2011 (3)
- ►October 2011 (3)
- ►September 2011 (4)
- ►August 2011 (4)
- ►July 2011 (5)
- ►June 2011 (3)
- ►May 2011 (5)
- ►April 2011 (3)
- ►March 2011 (2)
- ►February 2011 (4)
- ►January 2011 (3)
- ►November 2010 (4)
- ►October 2010 (2)
- ►August 2010 (2)
- ►July 2010 (1)
- ►May 2010 (3)
- ►April 2010 (4)
- ►March 2010 (3)
- ►February 2010 (9)
- ►January 2010 (1)
- ►December 2009 (3)
- ►November 2009 (2)
- ►October 2009 (5)
- ►September 2009 (3)
- ►August 2009 (3)
- ►July 2009 (2)
- ►June 2009 (3)
- ►May 2009 (3)
- ►April 2009 (2)
- ►March 2009 (6)
- ►February 2009 (2)
- ►January 2009 (4)
- ►December 2008 (3)
- ►November 2008 (4)
- ►October 2008 (4)
- ►August 2008 (4)
- ►July 2008 (2)
- ►June 2008 (4)
- ►May 2008 (4)
- ►April 2008 (7)
- ►March 2008 (2)
- ►February 2008 (2)
- ►January 2008 (4)
- ►November 2007 (2)
- ►October 2007 (5)
- ►September 2007 (1)
- ►August 2007 (2)
- ►July 2007 (3)
- ►June 2007 (2)
- ►May 2007 (2)
- ►April 2007 (2)
- ►March 2007 (4)
- ►February 2007 (2)
- ►January 2007 (2)
- ►December 2006 (1)
- ►November 2006 (4)
- ►October 2006 (3)
- ►September 2006 (4)
- ►August 2006 (5)
- ►July 2006 (4)
- ►June 2006 (5)