Earth Day Giveaway: Celebrate Your Favorite Planet with Sustainable Goodies!
It's time again to celebrate our favorite planet!
Earth Day is April 22, and it's a good reminder that we only have one planet to use. Being a good citizen of the Earth has always been one of Soft Star's core values, and it's one our shoemaking elves readily embrace. We're proud to have a workplace that places a high value on sustainable practices and coworkers who are always coming up with new ideas to reduce our carbon footprint. Here are a few of the steps we take to make our shop sustainable:
- Workplace Recycling: we have bins not only for common commingled items, but also materials that are harder to recycle such as metal, soft plastic and Styrofoam. Founder Elf Tim makes regular trips to dispose of these bins at our community recycling center.
- Upcycled Leather: We carefully monitor our leather scrap output to make sure we're using as much of each hide as we can. The scraps we do produce end up in a trunk in our public showroom, where local customers can take them for craft projects free of charge. We also sell these scraps on our website for only the cost of shipping.
- Sustainable Materials: We are careful to source non-toxic materials for our shoes, including leather colored with food-grade dye and non-toxic adhesives.
- Green Energy: Our electricity is sourced entirely from sustainable energy sources, and solar panels on our roof offset our workshop's power usage.
- Reusable Hand Towels: Elf Cindy turned fabric scraps into stylish hand towels to replace disposable paper towels in our bathroom, complete with a hamper so we can wash them after use.
- Alternative Transportation: We give our staff incentives to commute to work by bike!
- Minimal Shipping: we use minimal packaging to reduce waste when shipping shoes. We also collect and reuse paper packing materials from a local bookstore for padding.
- Compost: Elf Emily brings in buckets for food composting, which she takes home to her garden.
This Earth Day we're offering a special giveaway of sustainable goodies to one lucky winner. The prize basket includes a $50 Soft Star gift card you can use for our sustainably-made shoes, PLUS a reusable lunch container from Laptop Lunchables! This high-quality insulated carrier features a blue bento lunch box with several inner containers and a stainless fork and spoon set—made in the USA and contains NO lead, BPA, phthalates, or PVC ($47.97 value).
Use the tool below to enter our giveaway. Use multiple methods to gain more entries!
- Soft Star Talks Sustainability
- Elves Getting Dirty! Soft Star Volunteers at SAGE Community Gardens
- "Boss of the Moss" Mick Dodge Wears Soft Star Shoes on National Geographic Series