Barefoot Running, the Movie - Review
By now, most avid barefoot runners know the story of Michael Sandler—the man who ran a 10k barefoot only three months after being told by doctors that he would be lucky to even walk again. Michael and his wife, Jessica Lee, co-authored the book Barefoot Running in 2010 and offer workshops across the country to help people discover the benefits of running with bare feet. The Soft Star elves had the privilege of meeting Michael and Jessica at one of their workshops when they passed through Oregon in the summer of 2011. The shoeless couple then paid the Soft Star workshop a visit and became early testers of our leather-soled RunAmocs.
Now, Michael and Jessica have released their long awaited feature film, Barefoot Running, the Movie. We were very excited to see a preview of the movie, which provides a wealth of information about running bare and getting back in touch with the Earth.
The movie opens with Michael's amazing story about how a freak cycling accident led to a shattered femur, titanium implants, ten knee operations and the negative prognosis that running would never again be possible. After discovering online that running without shoes may lead to less impact force, he decided to give it a try. The results changed his life.
The film then delves into the anatomy of running and provides simple tips for developing natural and healthy running form. Michael and Jessica lay out their guidelines for easing into barefoot running to avoid injury and maximize benefits. The couple now has several years of experience helping people make the transition and their expertise is obvious through bountiful advice on what to expect and which myths to dispel (no, running barefoot will not make your feet ugly). Exercises and drills are provided to encourage good habits of posture and to improve balance. The end results are very inspiring, as we see Michael and Jessica run shoeless across all sorts of terrain ranging from streets and grass to rocky trails and calf-deep snow.
The movie also moves beyond the technical aspects of barefoot running and presents the fun and experimental side of shedding your shoes. Getting in sync with nature is a common theme, and one enjoyable chapter features Jessica turning exercise into playtime as she runs across logs, climbs trees and explores a forest, or as she puts it, "experiencing the world like a kid again." And while most barefoot running books and videos tend to target a male audience, Barefoot Running, the Movie appeals to both genders with a section specifically addressing the benefits of bare feet for women.
The film also features the big-screen debut of the Soft Star RunAmoc! In one chapter, appropriately titled "Footwear," Michael offers a list of qualities to look for in a barefoot or minimalist shoe for those times when bare feet are either not permitted or not preferred. His list, which includes a wide forefoot, low heel and thin and flexible soles, describes the type of shoe that would still allow the benefits of barefoot movement. A very proud RunAmoc Dash is presented as a shoe that fulfills all requirements.
Overall, the movie covers all aspects of barefoot running in a thorough, yet simple presentation. Complex ideas are broken down and explained in a way that anyone can understand. Beginners will find the transitional advice to be invaluable, and even experienced runners will learn something new from Michael's tips on form and balance. For anyone who feels overwhelmed with the abundance of running information online, the nicely organized Barefoot Running, the Movie is a welcome sigh of relief. We definitely recommend it as a gift for someone interested in baring all—footwise, that is.
For more information about Michael and Jessica, or to order your own DVD of Barefoot Running, the Movie, we encourage you to check out their site RunBare. And if you'd like a chance to win a free copy, then check back here next week...
Watch the trailer for Barefoot Running, the Movie
- 22-Year-Old Leather Moccasins Still Looking Good!
- Show Us Your BEST Soft Star Halloween Costume!
- Mindful Running Interview with Barefoot Guru Michael Sandler
- Show Your Team Colors! Tim's Special OSU Beaver Football Shoes
- Treatment and Removal of Plantar Warts - Kids' Foot Health
- Introducing SUPER SWATCHES for Local Soft Star Customers
- The History of Tassels—Fitting Tassels Now Available on the Soft Star Website
- Time for Our HALLOWEEN CONTEST: Win Handmade Shoes to Match Your Costume!
- BIG NEWS: Soft Star's New Website and New Shoe Visualizer
- "Boss of the Moss" Mick Dodge Wears Soft Star Shoes on National Geographic Series
- Need Spectacular Shoes for Fall? Introducing Autumn Moccasins!
- BATTLE FOR THE INTERNET: Help Small Businesses by Speaking Up for Net Neutrality
- ►August 2014 (3)
- ►July 2014 (4)
- ►June 2014 (3)
- ►May 2014 (5)
- ►April 2014 (3)
- ►March 2014 (3)
- ►February 2014 (3)
- ►January 2014 (2)
- ►October 2014 (7)
- ►December 2013 (6)
- Happy Thanksgiving! Holiday Shopping Tips and Ideas from the Elves
- GIVEAWAY! One-of-a-Kind Green Merry Mocs
- Holiday Shipping for Soft Star Shoes
- Tips for Choosing Minimalist Boots and Winter Shoes
- GIVEAWAY: Win a Free Pair of Very Unique Merry Mocs!
- We Have a Winner for Our Halloween Costume Contest!
- Help Us Pick a New Leather Color
- Shoe Artisans Share New Ideas at the Soft Star Workshop
- Heartfelt Obituary for Red Dash
- Monkeys and Elves Unite! Soft Star Teams Up with Luna Sandals
- Soft Star Halloween Costume Photo Contest… and a Secret from the Elves
- Knee Arthritis? Change Your Shoes for Prevention and Treatment
- We Have a Sweepstakes Winner! And More to Come...
- ►September 2013 (5)
- ►August 2013 (5)
- ►July 2013 (5)
- ►June 2013 (4)
- Should Trail Shoes Be Thicker Than Street Shoes? Maybe Not...
- Soft Star Survey: Receive a Free $5 Gift Card and a Chance to Win $100 Cash!
- Elves Getting Dirty! Soft Star Volunteers at SAGE Community Gardens
- First Sneak Peek at the New Soft Star Ballet Flat!
- Maker's Wild Documentary: Go Behind the Scenes at Soft Star Shoes
- Are High Heels Giving You Hammer Toes? Tips for Prevention and Treatment
- Intrigued by Barefoot Running? Start this Weekend with International Barefoot Running Day!
- Are Those Shoes Made of Wood?
- Wikler's Quest for Healthy Children's Feet
- Michael Sandler Visit and Workshop – Barefoot Walking Book Review and GIVEAWAY!
- Thinking of Boston
- How Fast Do Children's Feet Grow?
- Barefoot Pioneers: the People Who Taught Us "Barefoot is Best"
- Caballo Blanco's Legacy Lives On: Tom Norwood Returns from Copper Canyon
- Book Review: Overthinking the Marathon by Ray Charbonneau
- Reinventing the Hammer: OSU Students Bring Their Skills to Soft Star
- An Olympic Thank You! Help Missy Franklin Swim for MS
- The Mighty Arch, Part 2: Strengthen Your Arches to Treat and Prevent Foot Pain
- Running Green: Soft Star Shoes at the Portland Shamrock Run
- Winter Playday at the Soft Star Workshop
- The Mighty Arch, Part 1: A Natural Cure for Plantar Fasciitis?
- ►February 2013 (4)
- ►January 2013 (1)
- ►December 2012 (5)
- A Barefoot Running Book for Kids (Includes Free Lesson in Consumerism) + GIVEAWAY!
- Happy Thanksgiving! Turkey Shoes and Small Business
- Infographic: How to Choose Barefoot Shoes
- Rally 4 Jillie!
- Gifts for Her this Holiday Season - Fitting Tassels
- Sneak Peek at New Shoes for Women and Men - Vote for a Name!
- Soft Star Shoes for Mari's Place
- Introducing Youth Dash and Phoenix Boots
- Sneak Peek of the New Youth Dash - Vote for Your Favorite Color!
- And the Winner Is...
- Race, Walk or Skip for the Cure!
- Caption Contest Finalists - Vote for Your Favorite!
- Soft Star Caption Contest – Win a Free DVD of Barefoot Running, the Movie!
- ►September 2012 (3)
- ►August 2012 (3)
- ►June 2012 (3)
- ►May 2012 (2)
- ►April 2012 (2)
- ►March 2012 (1)
- ►February 2012 (3)
- ►January 2012 (2)
- ►December 2011 (4)
- ►November 2011 (3)
- ►October 2011 (3)
- ►September 2011 (4)
- ►August 2011 (4)
- ►July 2011 (5)
- ►June 2011 (3)
- ►May 2011 (5)
- ►April 2011 (3)
- ►March 2011 (2)
- ►February 2011 (4)
- ►January 2011 (3)
- ►November 2010 (4)
- ►October 2010 (3)
- ►August 2010 (2)
- ►July 2010 (1)
- ►May 2010 (3)
- ►April 2010 (4)
- ►March 2010 (3)
- ►February 2010 (9)
- ►January 2010 (1)
- ►December 2009 (3)
- ►November 2009 (2)
- ►October 2009 (6)
- ►September 2009 (3)
- ►August 2009 (3)
- ►July 2009 (2)
- ►June 2009 (3)
- ►May 2009 (3)
- ►April 2009 (2)
- ►March 2009 (6)
- ►February 2009 (2)
- ►January 2009 (4)
- ►December 2008 (3)
- ►November 2008 (4)
- ►October 2008 (4)
- ►August 2008 (4)
- ►July 2008 (2)
- ►June 2008 (6)
- ►May 2008 (4)
- ►April 2008 (7)
- ►March 2008 (2)
- ►February 2008 (2)
- ►January 2008 (4)
- ►November 2007 (2)
- ►October 2007 (5)
- ►September 2007 (2)
- ►August 2007 (2)
- ►July 2007 (3)
- ►June 2007 (2)
- ►May 2007 (2)
- ►April 2007 (2)
- ►March 2007 (4)
- ►February 2007 (2)
- ►January 2007 (2)
- ►December 2006 (1)
- ►November 2006 (4)
- ►October 2006 (3)
- ►September 2006 (4)
- ►August 2006 (5)
- ►July 2006 (4)
- ►June 2006 (5)