Get to know our Moc3 testers!
In preparation for the release of our Moc3, we asked three active individuals to test our shoe and provide feedback. Our testers are a very important part of the Moc3 production process. Recently two of our testers, Donald Buraglio and Andrew Mebane, talked with us about their experience testing our shoes. Here are their responses.
How did you become a tester for Soft Star Shoes?
Donald: I became a tester after doing a review of the Roo slippers for my Running and Rambling website, and I had some conversations with Tricia about barefoot and minimalist running. She invited me to take part in testing the original RunAmoc, and it continued from there.
What has your experience been like as Moc3 tester?
Donald: I've loved testing the Moc3 - it was really cool to see how they evolved and changed and improved each time until there was a finished product that was truly outstanding.
Which one of our shoes have you enjoyed testing the most?
Donald: I think I enjoyed testing the original RunAmoc the most, although the Moc3 comes very close. The first time around, there was a lot of experimentation and dramatic changes, and we weren't really sure what the final product would look like. Besides, the original RunAmoc is still my favorite, so I have a soft spot for that product development process.
Donald Buraglio operates the blog Running and Rambling, is a father, athlete and co-author of "The Running Life". For more information on Donald, check out his blog Running and Rambling
Tell me about yourself.
Andrew: I've got a master's degree in English (literature), but I work as a landscape construction foreman. I started my own stone masonry business in 2005 and still do occasional business through my company, Whole Earth Stonescaping (with a badly out of date website: www.wholeearthstonescaping.com).
How did you become a tester for Soft Star Shoes?
Andrew: Last spring I transitioned into minimalist shoes using the Vibram Five Finger Sprint. Later in the summer I was given a pair of Terra Plana Evos (also minimalist), and in the fall I bought my first pair of Soft Star mocs, the RunAmoc. I lived in the Applegate Valley, just west of Ashland, OR, and I regularly ran very steep trails near my house. I had a lot of trouble going up steep hills wearing the RunAmocs, so I sent a letter to Soft Star, just trying to be helpful. They asked me if I'd like to test the prototype for the RunAmoc Dash, and I was thrilled to accept. My first Dashes arrived (unnamed at that point) just before the winter solstice.
What has your experience as a Moc3 tester been like?
Andrew: I tested the Moc3 for less than ten miles because I got a big blood blister where the slot on the bottom of the moc pinched the skin on the bottom of one foot. Even though they've been released now, I currently have a pair that I've only got about ten miles on so far, and I'm looking forward to running in them more. I have 260 miles on my latest Dashes, and I put several hundred miles on previous versions of the Dash, too.
- ►September 2014 (3)
- ►August 2014 (3)
- ►July 2014 (4)
- ►June 2014 (3)
- ►May 2014 (5)
- ►April 2014 (3)
- ►March 2014 (3)
- ►February 2014 (3)
- ►January 2014 (2)
- ►December 2013 (6)
- Happy Thanksgiving! Holiday Shopping Tips and Ideas from the Elves
- GIVEAWAY! One-of-a-Kind Green Merry Mocs
- Holiday Shipping for Soft Star Shoes
- Tips for Choosing Minimalist Boots and Winter Shoes
- GIVEAWAY: Win a Free Pair of Very Unique Merry Mocs!
- We Have a Winner for Our Halloween Costume Contest!
- Help Us Pick a New Leather Color
- Shoe Artisans Share New Ideas at the Soft Star Workshop
- Heartfelt Obituary for Red Dash
- Monkeys and Elves Unite! Soft Star Teams Up with Luna Sandals
- Soft Star Halloween Costume Photo Contest… and a Secret from the Elves
- Knee Arthritis? Change Your Shoes for Prevention and Treatment
- We Have a Sweepstakes Winner! And More to Come...
- ►September 2013 (5)
- ►August 2013 (5)
- ►July 2013 (5)
- ►June 2013 (4)
- Should Trail Shoes Be Thicker Than Street Shoes? Maybe Not...
- Soft Star Survey: Receive a Free $5 Gift Card and a Chance to Win $100 Cash!
- Elves Getting Dirty! Soft Star Volunteers at SAGE Community Gardens
- First Sneak Peek at the New Soft Star Ballet Flat!
- Maker's Wild Documentary: Go Behind the Scenes at Soft Star Shoes
- Are High Heels Giving You Hammer Toes? Tips for Prevention and Treatment
- Intrigued by Barefoot Running? Start this Weekend with International Barefoot Running Day!
- Are Those Shoes Made of Wood?
- Wikler's Quest for Healthy Children's Feet
- Michael Sandler Visit and Workshop – Barefoot Walking Book Review and GIVEAWAY!
- Thinking of Boston
- How Fast Do Children's Feet Grow?
- Barefoot Pioneers: the People Who Taught Us "Barefoot is Best"
- Caballo Blanco's Legacy Lives On: Tom Norwood Returns from Copper Canyon
- Book Review: Overthinking the Marathon by Ray Charbonneau
- Reinventing the Hammer: OSU Students Bring Their Skills to Soft Star
- An Olympic Thank You! Help Missy Franklin Swim for MS
- The Mighty Arch, Part 2: Strengthen Your Arches to Treat and Prevent Foot Pain
- Running Green: Soft Star Shoes at the Portland Shamrock Run
- Winter Playday at the Soft Star Workshop
- The Mighty Arch, Part 1: A Natural Cure for Plantar Fasciitis?
- ►February 2013 (4)
- ►January 2013 (1)
- ►December 2012 (5)
- A Barefoot Running Book for Kids (Includes Free Lesson in Consumerism) + GIVEAWAY!
- Happy Thanksgiving! Turkey Shoes and Small Business
- Infographic: How to Choose Barefoot Shoes
- Rally 4 Jillie!
- Gifts for Her this Holiday Season - Fitting Tassels
- Sneak Peek at New Shoes for Women and Men - Vote for a Name!
- Soft Star Shoes for Mari's Place
- Introducing Youth Dash and Phoenix Boots
- Sneak Peek of the New Youth Dash - Vote for Your Favorite Color!
- And the Winner Is...
- Race, Walk or Skip for the Cure!
- Caption Contest Finalists - Vote for Your Favorite!
- Soft Star Caption Contest – Win a Free DVD of Barefoot Running, the Movie!
- ►September 2012 (3)
- ►August 2012 (3)
- ►June 2012 (3)
- ►May 2012 (2)
- ►April 2012 (2)
- ►March 2012 (1)
- ►February 2012 (3)
- ►January 2012 (2)
- ►December 2011 (4)
- ►November 2011 (3)
- ►October 2011 (3)
- ►September 2011 (4)
- ►August 2011 (4)
- ►July 2011 (5)
- ►June 2011 (3)
- ►May 2011 (5)
- ►April 2011 (3)
- ►March 2011 (2)
- ►February 2011 (4)
- ►January 2011 (3)
- ►November 2010 (4)
- ►October 2010 (3)
- ►August 2010 (2)
- ►July 2010 (1)
- ►May 2010 (3)
- ►April 2010 (4)
- ►March 2010 (3)
- ►February 2010 (9)
- ►January 2010 (1)
- ►December 2009 (3)
- ►November 2009 (2)
- ►October 2009 (6)
- ►September 2009 (3)
- ►August 2009 (3)
- ►July 2009 (2)
- ►June 2009 (3)
- ►May 2009 (3)
- ►April 2009 (2)
- ►March 2009 (6)
- ►February 2009 (2)
- ►January 2009 (4)
- ►December 2008 (3)
- ►November 2008 (4)
- ►October 2008 (4)
- ►August 2008 (4)
- ►July 2008 (2)
- ►June 2008 (6)
- ►May 2008 (4)
- ►April 2008 (7)
- ►March 2008 (2)
- ►February 2008 (2)
- ►January 2008 (4)
- ►November 2007 (2)
- ►October 2007 (5)
- ►September 2007 (2)
- ►August 2007 (2)
- ►July 2007 (3)
- ►June 2007 (2)
- ►May 2007 (2)
- ►April 2007 (2)
- ►March 2007 (4)
- ►February 2007 (2)
- ►January 2007 (2)
- ►December 2006 (1)
- ►November 2006 (4)
- ►October 2006 (3)
- ►September 2006 (4)
- ►August 2006 (5)
- ►July 2006 (4)
- ►June 2006 (5)