What do you call that funny looking running shoe?

Posted on March 15, 2010 by Soft Star Elves There have been 64 comment(s)

The Elves have been busy working on our latest product... a minimal running shoe. This has been an exciting project that has brought us in touch with an amazing group of people - barefoot enthusiasts!

We have prototypes of "the shoe" on the feet of a few runners. They are putting some serious miles on all types of surfaces so we know how this shoe will perform. Based on their feedback, we are fine tuning the design and expect to launch in April.

Here at the shop we have been referring to this new shoe as 'the running shoe', but we think this name needs a little work. A couple names we are considering are "Run-A-Moc" and "Phidippides". What do you think? Please reply to this post or send us an e-mail to vote or suggest a new name. We can't wait to hear your ideas!

P.S. Here is a quick peek at what it looks like as of today...

This post was posted in On the Horizon and was tagged with Adult Shoes, Announcements, RunAmoc

64 Responses to What do you call that funny looking running shoe?

• Nate says:

Phidippedes is cool, but kinda hard to say... can&#39;t wait for these to come out, love that vent thingy!<br /><br />My vote is for Run-a-Moc, but of course, I&#39;m sort of biased.

Posted on March 15, 2010 at 4:29 PM

• Dashing!! says:

I like the "Phidippides" but I don't know how marketable that name might be. I do like the way they look.

Whatever it is called, I just hope I can get them for my pre-teen, size 5.5 in men's.

Posted on March 15, 2010 at 10:39 PM

• Nate says:

Looks sweet! My vote is for Run-A-Moc, but of course, it&#39;s a little biased.<br /><br />No elastic closure? Will it be available in other colors?

Posted on March 16, 2010 at 10:42 AM

• run-a-moc is better than anything i&#39;ve thought of, very catchy and funny! they look like really great shoes.

Posted on March 16, 2010 at 10:47 AM

• AmyL says:

I vote for calling them &#39;Forest&#39; as in...run Forest run!

Posted on March 16, 2010 at 10:55 AM

• Alex says:

Looks great! I can&#39;t think of a good name, but I&#39;ll be buying a pair regardless of what you call them. Just please, please make them in big sizes!

Posted on March 16, 2010 at 10:59 AM

• ArdelChisholm says:

My favorite runs are in my Vibram five-fingers on hiking trails. I&#39;d love to see how these compare. How can I be part of your testing group?

Posted on March 16, 2010 at 11:07 AM

• I like the look of this very much and already own a pair of Soft Stars as well as currently run barefoot and in Vibram Five Fingers. I would definitely buy a pair of these when they come out as I am partial to natural materials and simple design whenever possible. I like the Phidippides name as well.

Posted on March 16, 2010 at 11:20 AM

• Sonja says:

Wow, I can&#39;t wait to try these out! I have a pair of your vegan hotcakes, which I wear for everyday wear, but I mostly run in Feelmax Kuusas. The Feelmax line has one big drawback though - too narrow in the toebox, which Soft Star shoes are not. When my Kuusas wear out, I was planning on getting a pair of adult Roos for running, but these running mocs would be even better, of course. I&#39;m fairly active on the minimalist running google group (and I&#39;ve recommended your shoes to many people). Naturally, I&#39;d be happy (and honored) to test these out for you if you&#39;re looking for more testers. <br /><br />As for a name, since you guys are elves, how about something to do with deer? Can&#39;t think of anything witty, but "deer" came to mind. Will these be in childrens sizes too?

Posted on March 16, 2010 at 11:23 AM

• skates says:

I have a suggestion rather than a name.<br /><br />I think the ankle closure should be a velcro flap. Much easier to open and close and will be easily adjustable and will stay on the foot when running.

Posted on March 16, 2010 at 11:55 AM

• Run-a-Moc absolutely! The shoe looks great (just like all the shoes I&#39;ve bought for my little one from you). I&#39;ll have to feature you guys on my blog soon.

Posted on March 16, 2010 at 12:03 PM

• Joya says:

i&#39;d love to join your testing group, too! and i love run-a-moc.<br /><br />my dad will be so excited about these!! ((he just read Born to Run))

Posted on March 16, 2010 at 12:03 PM

• Kevin says:

I like Run-a-Moc.

I'll throw a suggestion in anyway: you can look like an elf while running fast, so how bout the Elfast?

Posted on March 16, 2010 at 12:05 PM

• Niki F. says:

I&#39;m a huge fan of both the FiveFingers and your vegan shoes. Wondering if this new running shoe will be available in a vegan version.

Posted on March 16, 2010 at 12:19 PM

• Sarah Leigh says:

I vote "imps" because imps like to jump, skip, run, etc and the shoes won&#39;t make you "gimp".<br /><br />OK, a little cheesy, but I am sticking with it!

Posted on March 16, 2010 at 12:19 PM

• Attributing a quote from The Princess Bride to "barefoot shoes", "I do not think that word means what you think it means." To this "barefoot enthusiast", "barefoot shoes" makes one look like a fool..<br /><br />That said, Run-A-Moc sounds good to me. Relatedly, "Moc-a-skin" gets the point across too. Not really practical as a name but useful nonetheless is the phrase, "mid-foot landing gear".<br /><br />---Jason Olshefsky

Posted on March 16, 2010 at 12:28 PM

• Just checking word associations...

Pheidippides - ran a marathon, but died: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pheidippides

Run amok - murder indiscriminately: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_amok

Hmm. Maybe "Runner Moc" would work.

Posted on March 16, 2010 at 12:33 PM

• skates says:

SockMoc, Man Friday, Terra Nova,

Posted on March 16, 2010 at 12:44 PM

• My only grip with Soft Star shoes has been that I run through the soles relatively quickly! So make sure the soles are tough enough to stand up to lots of running. I just walk in mine, and I&#39;ve walked through the soles of two pair so far. :( But only the right shoe, which says something about how I walk, I guess!<br /><br />I love minimal shoes, and except for the soles, the Soft Stars are the best I own.

Posted on March 16, 2010 at 1:09 PM

• How about Marathon? Or TrailMoc? I&#39;d love to buy a pair of these! :)

Posted on March 16, 2010 at 1:34 PM

• Run-A-Moc!! Let us know when we can order - I run in Vibrams now but would like options. Keep up the great work!!

Posted on March 16, 2010 at 2:54 PM

• Shallay says:

I like Run-A-Moc. And I would also like to see an elastic closure.

Posted on March 16, 2010 at 3:26 PM

• James says:

how about the Soft Star Squanto?

Posted on March 16, 2010 at 3:43 PM

• eve says:

i love it!!!!!!!<br />please make in adult sizes, and i love the name run-a-moc, very clever!!!!!!!

Posted on March 16, 2010 at 5:03 PM

• Looks great -- will the Run-a-Moc have a vegan option?

Posted on March 16, 2010 at 5:19 PM

• J.S. says:

my first thought for a name-- before even seeing it-- was "zoom" :) quick and to the point, plus easy to remember!

Posted on March 16, 2010 at 5:54 PM

• Dave says:

Super! Put me down for several pair. Love your mocs for running. Have used the rubberized sole and also the barge sole, both are great. Can you make the Phidipiddes also available with a barge sole? <br />And I like Phidipiddes as a name!

Posted on March 16, 2010 at 7:09 PM

• Aaron says:

What sole material have you been using so far? I think you currently use Vibram sole material on the Rambler and of course cherry on the sandals, so is it one of those two or a different product?

Posted on March 16, 2010 at 7:09 PM

• Kristal says:

I would also like to be a part of your testing group, we live near a river, I would be interested to see how they hold up.<br />No elastic closure?<br />Run-A-Moc is great,<br />Another idea is "Pan" as in the <br />Goat God, God of the forests, Land, Animals, Nature...

Posted on March 16, 2010 at 7:12 PM

• Anonymous says:

what about &#39;almost naked&#39;, or bare bones.<br />or light foot, <br /> or tread soft, <br /> or tender tread <br /> or tender toes<br /><br /> shoes that moves<br />move with the shoes<br />flex the soles<br />feel the earth<br />alive feet

Posted on March 16, 2010 at 9:05 PM

• I just bought a pair of the Vegan Roos for running. I&#39;m very happy to see the vents in the top because the Vegan Roos are hot in the toe area when I run!

Posted on March 16, 2010 at 10:39 PM

• Brandon says:

always in favor of more options for minimalist running! any chance we can get a glimpse of the bottoms of these guys? i assume it&#39;s a tougher material than the standard moc&#39;s to handle running on pavement, trails, etc.

Posted on March 17, 2010 at 6:25 AM

• sounds cool can&#39;t wait for them to come out.

Posted on March 17, 2010 at 6:59 AM

• Anonymous says:

Running in Vibrams is hard on my pinky hammer toe - I am excited about these! I like Forest for the name!

Posted on March 17, 2010 at 10:23 AM

• I still like "Pheidippides", since he probably ran in something similar, but it is kinda long. So what&#39;s a name that sounds like a native running in mocassins? I&#39;ve really enjoyed my Soft Star barefoot runners. It&#39;s important to slowly work up in mileage when going from traditional running shoes to these.<br />Thanks, I love my shoes.

Posted on March 17, 2010 at 11:55 AM

• Anonymous says:

I hope the laces are for show - that type of lace is a PITA.<br />I also hope these will come in "women&#39;s" width. My current, grippy suede roos (which I love) are too wide to run in.

Posted on March 17, 2010 at 2:03 PM

• Anonymous says:

Looks great and like the name run-a-moc.

Posted on March 17, 2010 at 6:22 PM

• Oscar says:

The shoe looks like a Run-a-Moc to me. It doesn&#39;t look like it has enough vents though. Also please provide various color options, especially the basic shoe colors: black, white, brown. That way we have the option to not stand out that much ... Well, I think we&#39;ll all be noticeably different anyway. Maybe for those who want to stand out even more, offer bright sporty colors: screaming reds, tasty oranges, and sunny yellows.

Posted on March 17, 2010 at 9:03 PM

• Cool name ideas. Different direction but you could consider calling them Zolas or Bikilas. After famous Olympic runners who ran sans shoes.

Posted on March 17, 2010 at 10:33 PM

• How about zolas or bikilas? After famous barefoot Olympic runners.

Posted on March 17, 2010 at 10:39 PM

• Cheryl says:

I like run-a-moc. I&#39;m so excited to see you coming out with these! I&#39;ve tried vibrams, but find them uncomfortable. I run in my soft stars now, but these look even better.

Posted on March 18, 2010 at 9:27 AM

• suggestion, run-n-bare or bare-run-n. sort of similar tot he run-a-moc, but something you could have fun with! Looking forward to them.

Posted on March 18, 2010 at 11:42 AM

• julie says:

what cool looking running shoes !!! <br />i vote for run-a-moc, i love that name :)<br />can&#39;t wait to try them !

Posted on March 18, 2010 at 5:41 PM

• A running shoe is a great idea, but make sure the sole is sturdy enough.<br /><br />I&#39;ve worn a hole completely through the bottom of my Rambler Chocolate vibram sole in just 4 months, and that&#39;s just with walking outside through this winter. And I don&#39;t even walk THAT much.:(<br /><br />I love the Soft Star shoes, but wish the soles lasted a little better for me.

Posted on March 18, 2010 at 6:32 PM

• name suggestion - run-n-bare or bare-run-n. or use bear. similar to the run-a-moc but something else you could have a little fun with!

Posted on March 18, 2010 at 7:01 PM

• Anonymous says:

Love Run-A-Moc!

Posted on March 18, 2010 at 7:29 PM

• Sean says:

I thought of a couple suggestions.<br /><br />Forerunner - which is sadly already trademarked for a Garmin device.<br /><br />Talaria - name for Hermes&#39; winged sandals, unfortunately already used for a Nike shoe model.<br /><br />Hoplight - not being used for any products as far as I can tell. Hoplites were greek militia, and were more into marching than running, but I think the name works.

Posted on March 18, 2010 at 7:40 PM

• I like the "Dash"

Posted on March 18, 2010 at 9:43 PM

• Mick says:

The PRIMAL PADS!<br />they are Practical and invite Play with the land.<br /><br />Barefoot Sensei,<br />Mick Dodge

Posted on March 18, 2010 at 9:52 PM

• Definitely Run-A-Moc. What a great new idea! I featured you on my blog today - go take a pic, there&#39;s GREAT pictures!

Posted on March 19, 2010 at 7:37 AM

• PugMom says:

These look great. I&#39;ve been trying Vibram five fingers so seeing these really excites me because I won&#39;t have to fight to get them on and guide those toes in. I love Run-A-Moc. I&#39;m just sad I didn&#39;t get in on this early enough to be a tester.

Posted on March 21, 2010 at 4:31 PM

• Jeff Browning says:

I recently came across your shoes while looking for barefoot-mimicking shoes for my kids. <br /><br />I&#39;m an Oregon ultrarunner and I&#39;ve been transitioning toward a minimalist shoe and have been spending time barefoot and in Vibram Five Fingers. I&#39;m curious what these weigh? Love to be part of your test group if you have any more room. You can check out my blog at http://www.gobroncobilly.com

Posted on March 21, 2010 at 4:38 PM

• google2009 says:

Run-a-Moc! Great name for a hopefully great shoe. I&#39;m looking for something that&#39;ll be good for trail running and tree/rock climbing in a parkour type of way. I really hope these fit the bill.

Posted on March 22, 2010 at 12:29 AM

• Other possible star-related names...<br /><br />Star runners<br />Running stars (Instead of shooting stars)<br />Moc-Comets<br />GlideStars<br />Mocathons (think marathon)<br />Starfleets<br />Velocimocs<br />MeteorMocs<br />Runnaturels<br />Star-nakeds<br />Tread-bares?

Posted on March 23, 2010 at 3:15 AM

• I see lots of support for "Run-A-Moc". It&#39;s cute, but "run amok" has kind of a negative feel, and I think more positive marketing would sound better. I like Star-Nakeds and RunNaturals. I like mine with elastic--your picture shows laces--have you decided on one or the other?<br />Thanks again,

Posted on March 23, 2010 at 4:26 PM

• Is there a constellation associated with running?<br /><br />Just a few more ideas...<br /><br />Moc-a-runnies (sounds like macaroni, and who doesn&#39;t like that? maybe too cheesy sounding though...heh)<br /><br />trotter moccasins (maybe a negative association with water moccasins, though)<br /><br />feather fleets<br /><br />Jogstars or Runstars<br /><br />barefleet runners<br /><br />Runstellas<br /><br />fastellas<br /><br />jog-a-mocs

Posted on March 25, 2010 at 3:31 AM

• mariettetb says:

&#39;Star-nakeds&#39; is the only one so far to compete w/ &#39;Run-a-mocs&#39;. <br /><br />Love either name, but looks like I&#39;ll love the shoe no matter what you call it!! (Can I have mine in purple and turquois)?

Posted on March 28, 2010 at 6:17 AM

• Matt says:

Check out my blog (http://mattnahorniak.blogspot.com/2010/03/my-new-favorite-shoes.html)for a better picture of a proto type pair and the most recent test trail, and for my impressions thus far, as one of the lucky product testers (spoiler alert... I like &#39;em). <br /><br />Great job elves.

Posted on April 1, 2010 at 10:42 AM

• Anonymous says:

I vote for Run-a-Moc.<br /><br />The model that seems most attractive to me is the black all mesh upper model reviewed by Donald @ http://www.runningandrambling.com/<br />Unfortunately the suede upper would hold too much moisture.<br />Hopefully it will come in other colors too!

Posted on April 7, 2010 at 2:08 AM

• Clayton says:

When will they be available?

Posted on April 7, 2010 at 7:44 PM

• CorinaShell says:

Everyone in New Zealand is anxiously awaiting the launch of the Run-a-Moc! How do you think they will hold up in the rain?

Posted on April 8, 2010 at 2:52 PM

• Mick says:

Yoish! I am from the HOH Rain Forest in the Olympic Mountains in Washington state and we get over two hundred and fifty inches a year in rain. I run on old growth forest trails, mostly barefoot, but when the cold sets in i put on moccasins, have been doing this for years. The sole of the foot is leather and can be slippery so i use tree sap when i wish to increase the grip of my foot on slippery runs. For my leather moccasins i do the same. But these moccasins have a a rubber sole that is flexible and grip very well, light to carry. <br />All mocks need to be oiled when in these kind of conditions, but unless you are going off trail they will not get all that wet. If they do they dry off really quickly. <br />These moccasins are really nice when wool socks are added as i do a alot of training around the glaciers.<br />The kind of oil that i use comes from road kills such as elk or deer that some one in a shoe box on wheels was not paying attention and hit them, and the other comes from dead seals on the beach that have been shot by greedy fishermen. <br /><br />Barefootsensei@exuberantanimal.com<br />Mick

Posted on April 8, 2010 at 6:06 PM

• Allen R says:

I suggest "wingtip" and "runalong."

Posted on April 10, 2010 at 5:58 PM

• Tricia says:

Thanks for all the excellent name suggestions, ideas, comments and questions! I&#39;m so sorry we were just too overwhelmed with designs, responses and feedback from testers to add even more testers - but we really do appreciate all the offers! <br /><br />I just posted a new blog posting which hopefully answers most of the questions raised here. Yes, they are funny looking but they also are fun. For those of you still patiently waiting to hear how much they weigh - I promise we will include this in the product descriptions when they go online on April 28th. Weight can vary considerably based on shoe size (mens sz. 12 vs. womens sz 6) and soling type (trail or street), so it is not just a single number - but one of the size 11 mens shoes we just made weighed 6.9 oz. if this gives you a ballpark. Thanks again for all the great ideas!

Posted on April 11, 2010 at 1:04 AM

Comments

About Soft Star

25Anniversary Rafting Trip

Learn more about the elves, the company, and the shoes we make!

How We Make Them

Made in USA

Handmade to order with eco-friendly leathers, sheepskin and genuine Vibram™ soles.

Connect With Us