The Original was the first shoe we introduced into our best-selling RunAmoc line. Soft Star got its start making ridiculously comfortable moccasins, and by 2009, we thought we’d perfected our game. But when our customers started telling us they were wearing-out their mocs by logging serious mileage during their track and trail-running, we figured it was time to put a new twist on our classic design. Voila! The Original was born!
Combining the forgiving fit of a moccasin with the secure, lace-up closure of a running shoe, this sports moc hybrid is well-loved not only by runners, but also by people looking for a comfortable everyday shoe. The wide toe box and spacious instep make it a favorite for those who prefer to run or walk barefoot. Lightweight, cool, and ventilated, the Original is the free-and-easy, ready-for-anything running buddy you need to take you from weekend hikes to ultramarathons, and anywhere else the trail may lead!
- Zero drop sole between toe and heel.
- Choose your VibramTM rubber sole: 5mm Trail sole or 2mm Street sole
- Smooth leather upper suited for colder climates when extra warmth is desired, and LITE leathers offer greater ventilation
- Wide toe box, so your toes can grip, spread & grip away!
- Special Wide XL Width option available for bigfooters. The same width as our normal wide option, wide XL adds extra material to the front upper (vamp) of the shoe for thick feet
- Lightweight: between 5.6 oz to 8.7 oz depending on sole type and shoe size
- Integrated Lace/Elastic ankle closure - for adjustable tension
- Designed and made in Oregon using US-sourced raw materials
- Premium, responsibly-sourced leathers
- Even better than the DashReview by Kerstin
- Outstanding as alwaysReview by Bob
- tea tree oil for odorReview by Art B
- favorite shoes everReview by bethany
- So comfortable!Review by karl
- I was almost in tears.Review by Peter from England
For three years I've not been able to get my size 15 feet XL fit into any shoes following a serious spider bite infection.
Two weeks ago, I ordered these wonderful shoes and they arrived yesterday, on my birthday. Even with the strapping on my feet, there is still plenty of room inside the shoes. So the next pair I order will only need to be size 14 in a wide fit.
You have no idea what it means to me in being able to walk outdoors again...thank you my little Elves...you made my birthday dream come true. (Posted on 11/24/15)
- The best shoes ever made in the history of humankindReview by Lal Beral
I have the Bullhide soles.
I love these shoes. Soft Star better stay in business forever, because I never want to wear anything else on a daily basis.
What do I love? The ground-feel with the bullhide is unlike anything else. The shoes breathe really well, even in hot weather. The shoes are totally unrestrictive and really like being barefoot. Better, actually, when you don't need to worry about stepping on bad things.
Downside: The only downside with the bullhide soles is they absorb moisture. This means if you walk on wet ground (even after it rained), some water soaks through. The feeling on your feet is not wet, but slightly damp. My solution... buy a second pair, so if my feet get wet one day, I'll wear the second pair the next in order to give the first pair time to dry. The leather soles are so good, I'm not willing to get a backup pair with street soles for wet weather. "Once you go bullhide, you can't go back," I say.
One of my solutions to rainy days was to get Neos Villager overshoes. I can wear my Original RunAmocs inside them when I walk to work.
As to the slipperiness of the leather soles... I find the traction to be very good, even, for example, hiking over rocky terrain. The only surface I have noticed a problem with so far is plastic lumber (e.g. Trex), like the kind they use on trails to cover wet spots. That stuff is super slippery. But natural surfaces, concrete, etc... not a problem at all.
I love these shoes. (Posted on 11/7/15)
- Can't live without theseReview by Karin
These make a good all-season shoe for indoors, and most of 3 seasons for outdoors (Chicago area). Surprisingly, they keep my feet pretty dry in wet weather. I like the thinner rubber sole - the shoes conform to my foot better, with enough traction in most situations. I tried the bullhide soles, and I love wearing that pair indoors, but they are too slippery outdoors.
They are perfect for travel since they are light and pack flat. They are also perfect if you need to carry a pair of shoes when you're wearing snow boots outdoors.
I have extremely wide feet and a bunion joint that gets aggravated by conventional shoes. For most of my life, I never had a pair of comfortable shoes except for the occasional pair of sneakers. Soft Star changed everything for me. (Posted on 10/31/15)
- Worth Every Penny . :-)Review by Code
- Classic + ComfyReview by (-!-)v
- Best shoes I've ever hadReview by Lal Beral
I love these shoes. Even though the bullhide is technically a little thicker than the street sole, I have never had such ground feel in a shoe before, and I have worn a number of minimalist brands, some with sole thickness of 3 mm (like Vivo Barefoot).
The Run Amoc Originals are amazing. I can feel everything, and the soles are shaping to my foot wonderfully. My feet have tons of room to stretch out, and I can move my toes freely. I happened to get these in the middle of summer, and have been wearing them without socks on some very hot days. Surprisingly, they breathe very well and do not get too hot. I think it is because they are 100% leather, and the sole breathes / absorbs moisture. They are not nearly as hot as "regular" shoes with synthetic soles would be.
I have avoided wearing these on rainy days so far, so I can't comment on how water resistant they are (I did waterproof the uppers, though).
I haven't had problems with slippery-ness either, though I did walk on a trail with plastic boards covering wet areas of the trail, and the shoes were a little slippery on that surface. So, with the bullhide soles, caution is advised, but slipping doesn't seem like anything to be overly worried about on most surfaces.
I don't ever want to wear any other shoes than these. I wish they were suitable for all weather, but I'll settle for wearing them whenever it is reasonably dry and not icy. (Posted on 8/29/15)
- Nice feel!Review by Jia Jo
- Absolutely PerfectReview by Katerina
- comfort - original and beautiful design - feel the earth under my feet!Review by Christiana Leys
- super roomy, love the "protected" barefoot feelReview by Nik
- most versatile soft star shoeReview by karin
- they have served me wellReview by scedastic
- Fantastic, Fits Looser Than DashReview by Adam
The shoe fits the same in the front but is definitely looser in the ankle and heel. This is more noticeable with the sheepskin insoles fitted. My heel does slide a bit if my gait is lazy whereas this doesn't happen with the Dash. Cinching the lace tight does help a bit.
I think I'll get more use out of them in the non-freezing weather when I take the warm insole out so there is a firmer base.
As for the sole I got the 2mm Street version again. With the sheepskin insole and warm socks I don't feel the cold streets on either these or the Dash.
I did also get the Bee Snow and Water Proofing which helps a lot in wet weather but with such a thin sole I did have water soak through the base of the heel on these on a recent rainy day. Perhaps the Trail sole would be better for wet weather wear. (Posted on 1/15/15)
- Love themReview by Maren
- Fantastic shoe!Review by Molly
I can run so much farther in these, and finally I'm pain free. (Posted on 5/20/14)
- First pair of Original Runamocs = Greatness!Review by Dewey
- Versatile FootwearReview by Wallowa Tony
- I couldn't be happierReview by mtiff
- amazing shoe Review by soft star fan
No break in period and not a single blister (with or without socks). I have since gotten rid of all my other shoes! (Posted on 5/20/13)
- Just what I wantedReview by Bmur
- warm and wonderful winter running shoes (Suede)Review by scedastic
This is my second winter with them. They are very warm with a pair of thin socks, and remain warm even in slushy snow.
I run barefoot in the summer and whenever conditions are nice, in huaraches otherwise, but when the temperatures dip, I have abandoned the idea of all other "minimal" shoes except soft stars.
A year ago, I adjusted the laces, tied them and haven't changed them since.
They do well on snow, in light rain, on trails, on pavement.
I have worn them in single digit F temps.
In fact, I just ordered the MOC3s to be lighter weight for those times when I don't need so much warmth.
The shoes are well constructed and show very little signs of wear.
One of the few types of minimal shoes on the market that I would consider truly minimal and worth every penny. (Posted on 1/17/13)
- Good shoesReview by William
I wore a 12.5 in athletic shoes and ordered the 12U, the largest size. It's the correct length, and the width is good, but I think it could be wider in the area around the toes, because one foot, the pinky toe presses against the edge, although this shoe is far and above in width than normal shoes. Also, the curve in the shoe is alright, but there is a space near the big toe, but it is a bit tight in one foot in terms of width, and I don't wear an E or wide shoe but just a normal size 13 in athletic shoes, so I am wondering if a flat shoe needs such a curve. But I am glad I have found this shoe, and it is a god-send, but my criticism is just that, constructive, because perfection is a target that always should be attempted. Oh and my toes can splay and are not near as cramped as my kigo shoes, which feel like ballerina slippers in terms of width. (Posted on 1/3/13)
- Great shoes!Review by Marie
- Great minimal shoe!Review by Laurel
- Not bad for rainReview by Megi
Write Your Own Review
Unsure about your size? Our printable guide will help you find the best fit for your feet! Just click the button below to print the guide and follow the instructions on the page (if you don't have access to a printer then scroll down for another option).
Note: before you print the guide, make sure your printer settings will not shrink or scale the page. Uncheck any boxes labeled "Fit to Printable Area" and/or set scaling options to "None."
Want more details? Check out this video for visual step-by-step instructions:
No Printer? No Problem!
You can still measure feet using the method below (also shown in our sizing videos). You can then scroll down and see where your measurements fall on our sizing charts to find the recommended shoe size. All you need is a book, a tape measure and a wall.
Note: we no longer recommend tracing your feet because it usually gives a larger measurement than the method described below. Our sizing charts work in accordance with the following method.
To measure your feet:
- 1. Remove shoes and socks and place the bare foot so that the heel is barely touching a wall.
- 2. Place a book in on the floor, parallel to the wall, so that it is barely touching the front of the longest toe.
- 3. Step away carefully and measure the distance from the book to the wall.
- 4. Scroll down and look for this measurement on the sizing charts below to find the recommended shoe size.
Once you find your length measurement, you can use table below to best find your corresponding size.
Wide/Narrow: Trouble deciding your width? Our best recommendation is to order a wide or narrow only if you have found you need those custom widths in other brands for your feet to be comfortable. If you have never found you needed wide or narrow shoes before then we suggest sticking with our regular width.
If you find yourself between two shoe sizes, we recommend ordering the larger size. This is especially true of our adult Phoenix Boots, Portlanders and Rogue casual shoes, which run a bit small.
The following list shows all of the leather colors used in our workshop.
You will notice that our smooth, full grain leathers come in a variety of grades and styles. We've found some of these to work well on certain shoes, but not on others. For this reason, when you choose to design your own shoe with smooth leather you will only see certain types available.
Click here or scroll to the bottom of this page to see descriptions of our different leather varieties.
Smooth LeathersNOVA White
NOVA Grass Green
SUBLIME Hot Pink
SUBLIME Deep Blue Sea
SUBLIME Sky Blue
AGED Aged Black
VEGETABLE TANNED Black
VEGETABLE TANNED Cocoa
VEGETABLE TANNED Dune
VEGETABLE TANNED Eggplant
PLONGE Dark Hazelnut
PLONGE Royal Blue
PLONGE Robin Egg Blue
Suede LeathersSUEDE Grey
SUEDE Honey / Wheat
SUEDE Forest Green
SUEDE Medium Blue
SUEDE Black with Stars
SUEDE Cream with Gold Stars
Nova, Sublime, Plonge... What's the Difference?
- Smooth NOVA: A durable leather that is slightly stiffer than our other smooth leather options. Used for shoes that need the extra stiffness for proper support. This includes most of our shoes that are stitched directly to the sole, such as our Classics, Sandals, Ramblers and Merry Janes. Texture appearance looks the same as our Sublime and Vegetable Tanned leathers (though grain size can vary throughout every hide).
- Smooth SUBLIME: A durable smooth leather that is softer than Nova. We use this leather for our "turned" shoes (those that are made inside-out and then turned so the seams are on the inside) because the softer texture wraps around the foot well for a cozy fit. Used for our Roo moccasins, Metros, Dash RunAmocs and Original RunAmocs. Texture appearance looks the same as our Nova and Vegetable Tanned leathers (though grain size can vary throughout every hide).
- Cork: A very thin fabric lined with cork and gold speckles. This thin material is only available for decorative parts of certain design-your-own shoes, such as Dash RunAmoc sides or Ballerine heels.
- Smooth Aged Leather: This soft leather has been aged to give it a rustic look. It is used to make our Rogue shoes and select parts of our other design-your-own shoes.
- Vegetable-Tanned Leather: The only leather we import from Europe, due to it's highly sustainable properties. While all of our leather meets our sustainable standards (all of our leather is tanned without formaldehyde and colored with non-toxic food grade dye), this leather goes a step further with a purely vegetable-based tanning process using only grass-fed cows raised on controlled sustainable pastures in Germany's Bavarian Alps. Preferred by people with extreme chemical sensitivity. Due to it's high cost, there is an extra surcharge for use of vegetable-tanned leather in design-your-own shoes. Texture appearance looks similar to Nova and Sublime leathers. Please note this "naked" leather is likely to show cosmetic flaws and stains easily, even with just water.
- Shiny Leather: Smooth leather dyed with a glossy finish to give a shiny reflective look. Available for most of our design-your-own shoes that are made from either Nova or Sublime leather. Please note that shiny leather will dull with wear. Here's an example of Shiny Gold toddler moccasins worn for several weeks:
- Plonge Leather: The softest and lightest leather we could find! Since it is so thin and buttery soft, plonge leather works great for our baby Buttercup moccasins and the decorative trim on our adult Ballerine flats and is only used for these two styles.
- Suede Leather: Leather made from the lower layers of a hide to give a soft cloth-like texture. Available for most of our moccasins and RunAmocs.
- LITE Leather: A thin smooth leather covered in perforation holes. Great for giving your shoes extra ventilation, and a favorite for runners in hot climates. Used for our RunAmocs and Ballerines.
- Vegan Ultrasuede Leather: A synthetic animal-free material with a texture similar to suede. Used to make our vegan shoes.