- Zero drop sole between toe and heel.
- Solid smooth leather upper suited for colder climates when extra warmth is desired.
- Wide toe box, so your toes can grip, spread & splay away!
- Special Wide XL Width option available for bigfooters. The same width as our normal wide option, wide XL adds extra material to the front upper (vamp) of the shoe for thick feet.
- Choose your sole: rubber 5mm Trail sole, rubber 2mm Street sole or natural bullhide leather sole (formerly called "tough leather sole").
- Lightweight, between 5.6 oz to 8.7 oz depending on the type of sole you choose and how big your paws are.
- Integrated lace elastic ankle closure for adjustable tension.
- Designed and made in Oregon using 100% made-in USA raw materials.
- Premium, formaldehyde-free leathers.
- We can make most shoes within 4 business days (some exceptions apply).
- Design-Your-Own shoes in like-new condition are fully returnable/exchangeable according to the terms of our return policy.
The Original was the first shoe we introduced into our popular RunAmoc line. Several years ago, our customers started telling us they were running serious mileage in our moccasins and ramblers and asked if we could develop a shoe more appropriate for running. After making a few tweaks to our famous Roo moccasins, the Original was born! We're thrilled to see it embraced not only by runners, but also by people looking for a comfortable everyday shoe.
Lightweight and flexible, this shoe is designed to allow free, natural foot movement. Unlike other shoe companies that try to shave down a bulky shoe to call it "minimal" or "barefoot," we took a different ground-up approach to give you the absolute simplest covering you need for your feet. The simple construction of the Original features a couple thin pieces of leather uppers connected to a thin and durable Vibram sole, Laces tie snugly around the ankle to allow feet to flex and move freely and naturally. The wide toe box and spacious instep of this shoe make it a favorite for those who prefer to run or walk barefoot. Thoroughly tested by ultramarathon runners, we're proud to offer this running moccasin that competes against even the most "technologically advanced" running footwear.
- Classic + ComfyReview by (-!-)v
- Best shoes I've ever hadReview by Lal Beral
I love these shoes. Even though the bullhide is technically a little thicker than the street sole, I have never had such ground feel in a shoe before, and I have worn a number of minimalist brands, some with sole thickness of 3 mm (like Vivo Barefoot).
The Run Amoc Originals are amazing. I can feel everything, and the soles are shaping to my foot wonderfully. My feet have tons of room to stretch out, and I can move my toes freely. I happened to get these in the middle of summer, and have been wearing them without socks on some very hot days. Surprisingly, they breathe very well and do not get too hot. I think it is because they are 100% leather, and the sole breathes / absorbs moisture. They are not nearly as hot as "regular" shoes with synthetic soles would be.
I have avoided wearing these on rainy days so far, so I can't comment on how water resistant they are (I did waterproof the uppers, though).
I haven't had problems with slippery-ness either, though I did walk on a trail with plastic boards covering wet areas of the trail, and the shoes were a little slippery on that surface. So, with the bullhide soles, caution is advised, but slipping doesn't seem like anything to be overly worried about on most surfaces.
I don't ever want to wear any other shoes than these. I wish they were suitable for all weather, but I'll settle for wearing them whenever it is reasonably dry and not icy. (Posted on 8/29/15)
- Nice feel!Review by Jia Jo
- super roomy, love the "protected" barefoot feelReview by Nik
- most versatile soft star shoeReview by karin
- they have served me wellReview by scedastic
- Fantastic, Fits Looser Than DashReview by Adam
The shoe fits the same in the front but is definitely looser in the ankle and heel. This is more noticeable with the sheepskin insoles fitted. My heel does slide a bit if my gait is lazy whereas this doesn't happen with the Dash. Cinching the lace tight does help a bit.
I think I'll get more use out of them in the non-freezing weather when I take the warm insole out so there is a firmer base.
As for the sole I got the 2mm Street version again. With the sheepskin insole and warm socks I don't feel the cold streets on either these or the Dash.
I did also get the Bee Snow and Water Proofing which helps a lot in wet weather but with such a thin sole I did have water soak through the base of the heel on these on a recent rainy day. Perhaps the Trail sole would be better for wet weather wear. (Posted on 1/15/15)
- First pair of Original Runamocs = Greatness!Review by Dewey
- Not bad for rainReview by Megi
Write Your Own Review
Unsure about your size? Our printable guide will help you find the best fit for your feet! Just click the button below to print the guide and follow the instructions on the page (if you don't have access to a printer then scroll down for another option).
Note: before you print the guide, make sure your printer settings will not shrink or scale the page. Uncheck any boxes labeled "Fit to Printable Area" and/or set scaling options to "None."
Want more details? Check out this video for visual step-by-step instructions:
No Printer? No Problem!
You can still measure feet using the method below (also shown in our sizing videos). You can then scroll down and see where your measurements fall on our sizing charts to find the recommended shoe size. All you need is a book, a tape measure and a wall.
Note: we no longer recommend tracing your feet because it usually gives a larger measurement than the method described below. Our sizing charts work in accordance with the following method.
To measure your feet:
- 1. Remove shoes and socks and place the bare foot so that the heel is barely touching a wall.
- 2. Place a book in on the floor, parallel to the wall, so that it is barely touching the front of the longest toe.
- 3. Step away carefully and measure the distance from the book to the wall.
- 4. Scroll down and look for this measurement on the sizing charts below to find the recommended shoe size.
Once you find your length measurement, you can use table below to best find your corresponding size.
Wide/Narrow: Trouble deciding your width? Our best recommendation is to order a wide or narrow only if you have found you need those custom widths in other brands for your feet to be comfortable. If you have never found you needed wide or narrow shoes before then we suggest sticking with our regular width.
If you find yourself between two shoe sizes, we recommend ordering the larger size. This is especially true of our adult Phoenix Boots, Portlanders and Rogue casual shoes, which run a bit small.
The following list shows all of the leather colors used in our workshop.
You will notice that our smooth, full grain leathers come in a variety of grades and styles. We've found some of these to work well on certain shoes, but not on others. For this reason, when you choose to design your own shoe with smooth leather you will only see certain types available.
Click here or scroll to the bottom of this page to see descriptions of our different leather varieties.
Smooth LeathersNOVA White
NOVA Grass Green
SUBLIME Hot Pink
SUBLIME Deep Blue Sea
SUBLIME Sky Blue
AGED Aged Black
VEGETABLE TANNED Black
VEGETABLE TANNED Cocoa
VEGETABLE TANNED Dune
VEGETABLE TANNED Eggplant
PLONGE Dark Hazelnut
PLONGE Royal Blue
PLONGE Robin Egg Blue
Suede LeathersSUEDE Grey
SUEDE Forest Green
SUEDE Medium Blue
SUEDE Baby Leopard
SUEDE Cream with Stars
SUEDE Black with Stars
Nova, Sublime, Plonge... What's the Difference?
- Smooth NOVA: A durable leather that is slightly stiffer than our other smooth leather options. Used for shoes that need the extra stiffness for proper support. This includes most of our shoes that are stitched directly to the sole, such as our Classics, Sandals, Ramblers and Merry Janes. Texture appearance looks the same as our Sublime and Vegetable Tanned leathers (though grain size can vary throughout every hide).
- Smooth SUBLIME: A durable smooth leather that is softer than Nova. We use this leather for our "turned" shoes (those that are made inside-out and then turned so the seams are on the inside) because the softer texture wraps around the foot well for a cozy fit. Used for our Roo moccasins, Metros, Dash RunAmocs and Original RunAmocs. Texture appearance looks the same as our Nova and Vegetable Tanned leathers (though grain size can vary throughout every hide).
- Cork: A very thin fabric lined with cork and gold speckles. This thin material is only available for decorative parts of certain design-your-own shoes, such as Dash RunAmoc sides or Ballerine heels.
- Smooth Aged Leather: This soft leather has been aged to give it a rustic look. It is used to make our Rogue shoes and select parts of our other design-your-own shoes.
- Vegetable-Tanned Leather: The only leather we import from Europe, due to it's highly sustainable properties. While all of our leather meets our sustainable standards (all of our leather is tanned without formaldehyde and colored with non-toxic food grade dye), this leather goes a step further with a purely vegetable-based tanning process using only grass-fed cows raised on controlled sustainable pastures in Germany's Bavarian Alps. Due to it's high cost, there is an extra surcharge for use of vegetable-tanned leather in design-your-own shoes. Texture appearance looks the same as our Nova and Sublime leathers (though grain size can vary throughout every hide). Please note: this is a "naked" leather that stains easily, even with just water.
- Shiny Leather: Smooth leather dyed with a glossy finish to give a shiny reflective look. Available for most of our design-your-own shoes that are made from either Nova or Sublime leather.
- Plonge Leather: The softest and lightest leather we could find! Since it is so thin and buttery soft, plonge leather works great for our baby Buttercup moccasins and the decorative trim on our adult Ballerine flats and is only used for these two styles..
- Suede Leather: Leather made from the lower layers of a hide to give a soft cloth-like texture. Available for most of our moccasins and RunAmocs.
- LITE Leather: A thin smooth leather covered in perforation holes. Great for giving your shoes extra ventilation, and a favorite for runners in hot climates. Used for our RunAmocs and Ballerines.
- Vegan Ultrasuede Leather: A synthetic animal-free material with a texture similar to suede. Used to make our vegan shoes.