- Exceptional flexibility and groundfeel provided by innovative patterned foot bed .
- Lightweight, weighing less than 5oz!
- Breathe-O-Prene® liners wicks moisture and keeps dust and dirt away!
- Genuine leather uppers, perforated for breathability.
- Zero drop 2mm Vibram® soling.
- Can be worn with or without socks.
- Odor Resistant.
- Reflective strips for nighttime safety.
- Design-Your-Own shoes in like-new condition are fully returnable/exchangeable according to the terms of our return policy.
- Handcrafted in Oregon, USA.
The Moc3 utilizes Breathe-O-Prene® technology to provide a moisture-wicking and odor-resistant interior that hugs your foot from all sides. A layer of our LITE perforated leather protects the outer shell. The soft, minimal design of this shoes provides a maximum level of barefoot movement, and the extremely thin and pliable soles allow you to feel the texture of the ground under your feet in great detail. Weighing only 5oz, these shoes can be easily pulled on and off, and they roll up nicely to stuff into a pack or slide under a belt. Although the Moc3 was designed with runners in mind, it also makes an excellent and comfortable everday shoe. If you're looking for a truly barefoot experience with the most basic protection from the elements, then you've found your match!
Moc3 for Trail Running:
The thin 2mm soles on the Moc3 is suitable for most dirt, grass and moderate trails. Tough-footed barefooters will love them on rocky, technical trails. Since this shoe provides a very high level of groundfeel, beginners who have not yet strengthened their feet for barefoot-style running are advised to transition to rough/rocky surfaces slowly to avoid injury.
The Moc3 is not water resistant and is not recommended for stream crossing, though they are very easy to slip off and carry when you run through water.
Read a review from strayphoto.com that describes how the Moc3 performed on 500 miles of rough trails.
This shoe is designed by veteran running shoe expert, Mike Friton. Mike has over 25 year experience in shoe design and technology, and is currently teaching shoe design at the Portland Art Institute. An avid runner, he spent his early years working in Bill Bowerman's laboratory and with elite runners. With a background in anthropology, he has been interested in historical and cultural evolution of footwear and has a passion for simple, foot healthy designs.
Check out this great video for more details about Mike Friton and his innoviative design style:
- Looks and feels like a thick bag over your footReview by Frank
2. That extra fabric bunches up when you bend the foot (just walking)
3. What's with the funky outsole cut out?
4. Outsole is too narrow in the heel - part of the calcaneus and surrounding tissue hangs right over it on both sides.
5. Order a size smaller than you think. (And deal with even more calcaneal overhang)
6. 2mm outsole, but the whole thing feels thicker than my 4mm vffs.
7. $100+ ??!!? I don't mind shelling out if it felt like a well designed product ... But it didn't.
Love the idea, but I believe it requires a redesign with more thought than slapping some synthetic material together in a bag shape and pasting it to flat 2mm Vibram rubber strips.
Note from Elf Trish: Appreciate you taking time to provide feedback. Sorry you didn't like the shoes as they are my personal favorites. Please know there are thousands of hours of expertise, thoughtful work and passion put into the Moc3. (Posted on 7/14/15)
- Simple and Sweet!Review by Fran
- The ultimateReview by Mel
- Fantabulous!Review by Janzo
- Love my Moc3 but is the vegan option gone?Review by José
Note from Soft Star: Thanks José for your feedback. We hope to bring back the Vegan option soon - we are working on a pattern change to make the toe seam more durable for the Vegan material. (Posted on 4/26/13)
- Love Love LoveReview by Obstkuchen
- Love the Moc3'sReview by Barefoot Kathleen
- Best minimalist shoe I've tried so farReview by Quinn
- yes, butReview by Lechuza
Now here is the hidden ugliness.There is between my lovely feet and the lovely leather of the poor animal who died to give his hide so I could run free, an nasty layer of stinging petro-chemical synthetic fabric. I detest this.
The bottoms of my feet feel lovely. The sides and tops feel stingy and nasty and horrible. Before my run/walk is over I have to take off my beautiful shoes and put up with the gravel hurting the soles of my feet because I can no longer stand the horror of the petro-chemical menace on my skin. And this is through organic cotton socks! WHY??? Why could it not have been wool? Already the shoes are expensive, so we are not worried about the plight of the poor. Since the shoes are made of the SKIN of animals, it is obvious we have dealt with the moral issue of animal rights, so why not wool, or maybe silk?
(SOFT STAR RESPONSE: Please note Soft Star removed last name and address provided by this reviewer for privacy reasons. We appreciate the suggestion to use natural materials as a liner, and did, in fact, consider alternatives. For this shoe to slip on and snug, the design required elastic properties which are not present in natural materials. ) (Posted on 3/15/12)
- My Go-To ShoeReview by Dustin
I wound up being between sizes so I ended up going with the smaller of the two and couldn't be happier with the fit. (Posted on 2/14/12)
- Ruby Red Slippers!Review by Brandon
"There is no place like trails, there is no place like trails..." (Posted on 2/3/12)
Write Your Own Review
Unsure about your size? Our printable guide will help you find the best fit for your feet! Just click the button below to print the guide and follow the instructions on the page (if you don't have access to a printer then scroll down for another option).
Note: before you print the guide, make sure your printer settings will not shrink or scale the page. Uncheck any boxes labeled "Fit to Printable Area" and/or set scaling options to "None."
Want more details? Check out this video for visual step-by-step instructions:
No Printer? No Problem!
You can still measure feet using the method below (also shown in our sizing videos). You can then scroll down and see where your measurements fall on our sizing charts to find the recommended shoe size. All you need is a book, a tape measure and a wall.
Note: we no longer recommend tracing your feet because it usually gives a larger measurement than the method described below. Our sizing charts work in accordance with the following method.
To measure your feet:
- 1. Remove shoes and socks and place the bare foot so that the heel is barely touching a wall.
- 2. Place a book in on the floor, parallel to the wall, so that it is barely touching the front of the longest toe.
- 3. Step away carefully and measure the distance from the book to the wall.
- 4. Scroll down and look for this measurement on the sizing charts below to find the recommended shoe size.
Once you find your length measurement, you can use table below to best find your corresponding size.
Wide/Narrow: Trouble deciding your width? Our best recommendation is to order a wide or narrow only if you have found you need those custom widths in other brands for your feet to be comfortable. If you have never found you needed wide or narrow shoes before then we suggest sticking with our regular width.
If you find yourself between two shoe sizes, we recommend ordering the larger size. This is especially true of our adult Phoenix Boots, Portlanders and Rogue casual shoes, which run a bit small.
The following list shows all of the leather colors used in our workshop.
You will notice that our smooth, full grain leathers come in a variety of grades and styles. We've found some of these to work well on certain shoes, but not on others. For this reason, when you choose to design your own shoe with smooth leather you will only see certain types available.
Click here or scroll to the bottom of this page to see descriptions of our different leather varieties.
Smooth LeathersNOVA White
NOVA Grass Green
SUBLIME Hot Pink
SUBLIME Deep Blue Sea
SUBLIME Sky Blue
AGED Aged Black
VEGETABLE TANNED Black
VEGETABLE TANNED Cocoa
VEGETABLE TANNED Dune
VEGETABLE TANNED Eggplant
PLONGE Dark Hazelnut
PLONGE Royal Blue
PLONGE Robin Egg Blue
Suede LeathersSUEDE Grey
SUEDE Forest Green
SUEDE Medium Blue
SUEDE Baby Leopard
SUEDE Cream with Stars
SUEDE Black with Stars
Nova, Sublime, Plonge... What's the Difference?
- Smooth NOVA: A durable leather that is slightly stiffer than our other smooth leather options. Used for shoes that need the extra stiffness for proper support. This includes most of our shoes that are stitched directly to the sole, such as our Classics, Sandals, Ramblers and Merry Janes. Texture appearance looks the same as our Sublime and Vegetable Tanned leathers (though grain size can vary throughout every hide).
- Smooth SUBLIME: A durable smooth leather that is softer than Nova. We use this leather for our "turned" shoes (those that are made inside-out and then turned so the seams are on the inside) because the softer texture wraps around the foot well for a cozy fit. Used for our Roo moccasins, Metros, Dash RunAmocs and Original RunAmocs. Texture appearance looks the same as our Nova and Vegetable Tanned leathers (though grain size can vary throughout every hide).
- Cork: A very thin fabric lined with cork and gold speckles. This thin material is only available for decorative parts of certain design-your-own shoes, such as Dash RunAmoc sides or Ballerine heels.
- Smooth Aged Leather: This soft leather has been aged to give it a rustic look. It is used to make our Rogue shoes and select parts of our other design-your-own shoes.
- Vegetable-Tanned Leather: The only leather we import from Europe, due to it's highly sustainable properties. While all of our leather meets our sustainable standards (all of our leather is tanned without formaldehyde and colored with non-toxic food grade dye), this leather goes a step further with a purely vegetable-based tanning process using only grass-fed cows raised on controlled sustainable pastures in Germany's Bavarian Alps. Due to it's high cost, there is an extra surcharge for use of vegetable-tanned leather in design-your-own shoes. Texture appearance looks the same as our Nova and Sublime leathers (though grain size can vary throughout every hide). Please note: this is a "naked" leather that stains easily, even with just water.
- Shiny Leather: Smooth leather dyed with a glossy finish to give a shiny reflective look. Available for most of our design-your-own shoes that are made from either Nova or Sublime leather.
- Plonge Leather: The softest and lightest leather we could find! Since it is so thin and buttery soft, plonge leather works great for our baby Buttercup moccasins and the decorative trim on our adult Ballerine flats and is only used for these two styles..
- Suede Leather: Leather made from the lower layers of a hide to give a soft cloth-like texture. Available for most of our moccasins and RunAmocs.
- LITE Leather: A thin smooth leather covered in perforation holes. Great for giving your shoes extra ventilation, and a favorite for runners in hot climates. Used for our RunAmocs and Ballerines.
- Vegan Ultrasuede Leather: A synthetic animal-free material with a texture similar to suede. Used to make our vegan shoes.
Although it was designed for barefoot/minimalist footwear runners, the Moc3 is so comfortable that it can cross over to everyday wear, yoga or other sports. Click below for more background on the Moc3. We love it and hope you will, too!