- Interior seam for classy, fashionable look.
- Choose between 4mm Vibram rubber Cherry sole or our natural bullhide leather sole (formerly called "tough leather sole).
- Buckles have a small piece of elastic so the strap flexes with the natural movement of your foot. This flex also makes it possible to pull your shoe on/off without opening and closing the buckle each time.
- Choose from your own colors, cutouts or appliqués
- Handcrafted in USA from premium, formaldehyde-free leathers.
- We can make most shoes within 4 business days (some exceptions apply).
- Design-Your-Own shoes in like-new condition are fully returnable/exchangeable according to the terms of our return policy.
Choose your own colors and motifs to personalize this fashionable shoe for any occasion.
The sole for this shoe can be made with either our 4mm Vibram Cherry sole or our natural tough leather sole. The 4mm Vibram Cherry sole used on this shoe is lightweight with excellent abrasion and slip-resistant characteristics—comfortable, yet durable for everyday use. Our tough leather sole is thinner, more flexible and provides a wide range of barefoot movement with excellent groundfeel. Note: the tough leather sole may become very slippery on surfaces that are smooth and wet.
Interested in a sheepskin innersole for this shoe? Click here!
- Best Shoes EverReview by Jessica
Plus, there's excellent customer service backing these up! Upon receiving my first pair of shoes, I realized I needed a narrow, and they took them back and got me a new pair within a week.
(Posted on 4/13/15)
- Excellent Shoes!!Review by echoecho
- Nice shoesReview by
- Best shoes ever!Review by Michelle
- better than everReview by Elf-lover
- Barefoot wonder Review by Hannah
- I'm In LOVEReview by Gerri
- Great shoes but still not dressy enough. Review by barefootjunkie
Unfortunately, while they were super comfortable, they were very wide at the forefoot and gave me the look of duck feet. They still looked a bit too much like slippers (like, say, my Roos) to pass outside of that casual wear use into more professional wear. While the originals are also casual, their construction means they don't give that floppy forefoot look that the Metro's do.
On the plus side, they were very comfortable and had plenty of room for a sheepskin insole (which I love!). Lots of room for my toes to splay out fully. The leather, stitching and construction was high quality. The cherry rubber sole surprised me as it was quite a bit heavier than their other soles, more so than I would normally like, but it was clearly very durable and would last likely much longer than their regular Merry Jane sole or tough leather soles would. Really grippy too!
I did end up sending them back as they were not what I was looking for at this time and they are quite expensive for a shoe that did not satisfy an opening in my shoe closet, but I can see buying them again in the future to add to my already plentiful barefoot/minimalist casual shoe wardrobe as they really were quite comfortable!
(Posted on 3/27/13)
Write Your Own Review
Unsure about your size? Our printable guide will help you find the best fit for your feet! Just click the button below to print the guide and follow the instructions on the page (if you don't have access to a printer then scroll down for another option).
Note: before you print the guide, make sure your printer settings will not shrink or scale the page. Uncheck any boxes labeled "Fit to Printable Area" and/or set scaling options to "None."
Want more details? Check out this video for visual step-by-step instructions:
No Printer? No Problem!
You can still measure feet using the method below (also shown in our sizing videos). You can then scroll down and see where your measurements fall on our sizing charts to find the recommended shoe size. All you need is a book, a tape measure and a wall.
Note: we no longer recommend tracing your feet because it usually gives a larger measurement than the method described below. Our sizing charts work in accordance with the following method.
To measure your feet:
- 1. Remove shoes and socks and place the bare foot so that the heel is barely touching a wall.
- 2. Place a book in on the floor, parallel to the wall, so that it is barely touching the front of the longest toe.
- 3. Step away carefully and measure the distance from the book to the wall.
- 4. Scroll down and look for this measurement on the sizing charts below to find the recommended shoe size.
Once you find your length measurement, you can use table below to best find your corresponding size.
Wide/Narrow: Trouble deciding your width? Our best recommendation is to order a wide or narrow only if you have found you need those custom widths in other brands for your feet to be comfortable. If you have never found you needed wide or narrow shoes before then we suggest sticking with our regular width.
If you find yourself between two shoe sizes, we recommend ordering the larger size. This is especially true of our adult Phoenix Boots, Portlanders and Rogue casual shoes, which run a bit small.
The following list shows all of the leather colors used in our workshop.
You will notice that our smooth, full grain leathers come in a variety of grades and styles. We've found some of these to work well on certain shoes, but not on others. For this reason, when you choose to design your own shoe with smooth leather you will only see certain types available.
Click here or scroll to the bottom of this page to see descriptions of our different leather varieties.
Smooth LeathersNOVA White
NOVA Grass Green
SUBLIME Hot Pink
SUBLIME Deep Blue Sea
SUBLIME Sky Blue
AGED Aged Black
VEGETABLE TANNED Black
VEGETABLE TANNED Cocoa
VEGETABLE TANNED Dune
VEGETABLE TANNED Eggplant
PLONGE Dark Hazelnut
PLONGE Royal Blue
PLONGE Robin Egg Blue
Suede LeathersSUEDE Grey
SUEDE Forest Green
SUEDE Medium Blue
SUEDE Baby Leopard
SUEDE Cream with Stars
SUEDE Black with Stars
Nova, Sublime, Plonge... What's the Difference?
- Smooth NOVA: A durable leather that is slightly stiffer than our other smooth leather options. Used for shoes that need the extra stiffness for proper support. This includes most of our shoes that are stitched directly to the sole, such as our Classics, Sandals, Ramblers and Merry Janes. Texture appearance looks the same as our Sublime and Vegetable Tanned leathers (though grain size can vary throughout every hide).
- Smooth SUBLIME: A durable smooth leather that is softer than Nova. We use this leather for our "turned" shoes (those that are made inside-out and then turned so the seams are on the inside) because the softer texture wraps around the foot well for a cozy fit. Used for our Roo moccasins, Metros, Dash RunAmocs and Original RunAmocs. Texture appearance looks the same as our Nova and Vegetable Tanned leathers (though grain size can vary throughout every hide).
- Cork: A very thin fabric lined with cork and gold speckles. This thin material is only available for decorative parts of certain design-your-own shoes, such as Dash RunAmoc sides or Ballerine heels.
- Smooth Aged Leather: This soft leather has been aged to give it a rustic look. It is used to make our Rogue shoes and select parts of our other design-your-own shoes.
- Vegetable-Tanned Leather: The only leather we import from Europe, due to it's highly sustainable properties. While all of our leather meets our sustainable standards (all of our leather is tanned without formaldehyde and colored with non-toxic food grade dye), this leather goes a step further with a purely vegetable-based tanning process using only grass-fed cows raised on controlled sustainable pastures in Germany's Bavarian Alps. Due to it's high cost, there is an extra surcharge for use of vegetable-tanned leather in design-your-own shoes. Texture appearance looks the same as our Nova and Sublime leathers (though grain size can vary throughout every hide). Please note: this is a "naked" leather that stains easily, even with just water.
- Shiny Leather: Smooth leather dyed with a glossy finish to give a shiny reflective look. Available for most of our design-your-own shoes that are made from either Nova or Sublime leather.
- Plonge Leather: The softest and lightest leather we could find! Since it is so thin and buttery soft, plonge leather works great for our baby Buttercup moccasins and the decorative trim on our adult Ballerine flats and is only used for these two styles..
- Suede Leather: Leather made from the lower layers of a hide to give a soft cloth-like texture. Available for most of our moccasins and RunAmocs.
- LITE Leather: A thin smooth leather covered in perforation holes. Great for giving your shoes extra ventilation, and a favorite for runners in hot climates. Used for our RunAmocs and Ballerines.
- Vegan Ultrasuede Leather: A synthetic animal-free material with a texture similar to suede. Used to make our vegan shoes.
Care Tips for Full Grain Leather Shoes
WHEN THEY FIRST ARRIVE:
Soft Star Shoes are made from eco-friendly, tanned in USA leathers. Leather is a natural product and some variation in texture and hide markings is to be expected. Because we use leather colored with non-toxic methods using food grade dyes, there will likely be some initial color transfer to your socks or skin if your shoes become damp. This will decrease with use, but we don't recommend wearing your new Soft Stars with your favorite white socks the first time you take them for a spin.
If your shoes are a little snug at first in the toe box area, you can gently stretch them by stuffing the toe box with a dry cloth. Push the cloth tightly into the front of the shoe and let sit stuffed overnight to stretch. Do NOT use a damp cloth as the water can stain the leather or innersole* of some leather types, rendering it unreturnable.
Most full grain leather we use is naturally water resistant - but Vegetable tanned is not and will stain. You can clean shoes as needed with water dampened cloth* and let air dry - but please note if you do this on Vegetable tanned, you will need to wet/stain entire shoe to avoid water stain marks. Condition the leather as often as desired with any quality leather dressing, but take care to keep it away from the edges of your rubber soles. Mink oil can degrade the adhesion on bonded soles and cause the sole to separate from your shoe over time. We highly recommend Bee Natural Amore for general conditioning or Rain & Snow on leather for enhanced water resistance. The color on shiny metallic shoes will eventually patina with use into an antique wear look - this can be accelerated with repeated use to water and high wear (e.g. scuffing toes).
For all leathers except vegetable tanned, you can use a damp cloth, or if needed you can hand wash your leather shoes using a gentle shampoo and cool water*. We don't recommend frequent washing of any leather product as it strips the leather of it's natural oils and tends to dry stiffer.
We are often asked if our shoes can be washed in a washing machine. While not recommended as a normal course of action, when in dire straits the Elves have been known to toss a pair of shoes in the machine and generally have had good results. Just don't mix them with any other item because of color bleeding, and do NOT put shoes the dryer. Shoes with sheepskin can take 3-4 days to air dry if fully submerged in water, but you can speed up the drying by stuffing with old newspapers and replacing the paper 2x a day.