Need the classic versatility and practicality of a Merry Jane, but with the clean styling of something a bit more polished? Made with smooth, turned seams and heavenly smooth Sublime leather, the Metro gives you all the comfort and function of the original Merry Jane, but with lines that let it pair well with everything from jeans to cocktail attire. Its minimal, flexible design enables natural foot function for every social function, and optional Vibram Cherry or Bullhide Leather soles provide you with the softest ride a shoe can offer! Additionally, the Metro’s buckle-closure strap allows for an adjustable, customized fit. Waltz through the world in these society-saavy shoes!
- Choose Vibram Cherry soles for traction, or ultra-pliable Bullhide Leather soles for incredible groundfeel and connectivity
- Buckle closure for adjustable fit
- Add an accent color or pattern with stitched-on and cut-out motifs
- Choose from our stock colors or design your own!
- Handcrafted in USA from premium, responsibly-sourced leathers
Want to step it up with a sheepskin innersole for this shoe? Click here!
- Wonderful!Review by LeeLee
- you won't be disappointed.Review by buytheseshoesnow
- Even better than I expected!Review by Teresa
- Not my favoritesReview by Fan of Soft Stars
I love the ballet flats and the sandals (ordered a size smaller in those and they were perfect).
I wouldn't order these again. First, as some note, they are strange looking in the toe and I bought them to wear as a dress shoe to work.
These are *constantly* getting things in the shoe. I believe due to how low the front and back of the shoe meet in the inner part of the shoe. (There's also a similar design in the Mary Jane's which I would love to try but am afraid to for this very reason).
I also got the leather soles and didn't realize it gets slippery when wet (my bad since it states this specifically). I was in a parking lot in light rain and I slipped and was afraid to keep walking.
I'm back again to SS to try the Dash (a second time - first time didn't like the toe constraint but am willing to have leather stretch now).
My daughter has several pairs as well. They are the healthiest shoes for developing feet, and for adults who want to redevelop their feet.
This is from an orthotics wearer as a teenage due to overpronated, flat feet. I have no issues with my legs or feet as a minimalist foot fanatic.
SS and their Elves are the best. (Posted on 2/11/16)
- Your all-leather shoes make me Happy!Review by Jeanine
They are soooo comfy (feel as comfortable as slippers) and beautifully grounding.
They make me happy!
And your elves are such a delight.
Thank you so much! (Posted on 2/2/16)
- Great shoeReview by OKathy
I thought I should order a wide pair as there are so few women's shoes that have a wide enough toe box for me. I was surprised to find the wide was way too wide for me. It was an easy exchange to the regular width - as others have commented, this company is a "star" in customer service too. (Posted on 12/10/15)
- Ah-mazingReview by Michelle from Canada
- Crazy In Love Review by Kate
- Soft Star Metros are fantastic!Review by Becky
- Soft Star Metros are fantastic!Review by Becky
- I love themReview by JK
- Best Shoes EverReview by Jessica
Plus, there's excellent customer service backing these up! Upon receiving my first pair of shoes, I realized I needed a narrow, and they took them back and got me a new pair within a week.
(Posted on 4/13/15)
- Excellent Shoes!!Review by echoecho
- Nice shoesReview by
- Best shoes ever!Review by Michelle
- better than everReview by Elf-lover
- Barefoot wonder Review by Hannah
- I'm In LOVEReview by Gerri
- Great shoes but still not dressy enough. Review by barefootjunkie
Unfortunately, while they were super comfortable, they were very wide at the forefoot and gave me the look of duck feet. They still looked a bit too much like slippers (like, say, my Roos) to pass outside of that casual wear use into more professional wear. While the originals are also casual, their construction means they don't give that floppy forefoot look that the Metro's do.
On the plus side, they were very comfortable and had plenty of room for a sheepskin insole (which I love!). Lots of room for my toes to splay out fully. The leather, stitching and construction was high quality. The cherry rubber sole surprised me as it was quite a bit heavier than their other soles, more so than I would normally like, but it was clearly very durable and would last likely much longer than their regular Merry Jane sole or tough leather soles would. Really grippy too!
I did end up sending them back as they were not what I was looking for at this time and they are quite expensive for a shoe that did not satisfy an opening in my shoe closet, but I can see buying them again in the future to add to my already plentiful barefoot/minimalist casual shoe wardrobe as they really were quite comfortable!
(Posted on 3/27/13)
Write Your Own Review
Unsure about your size? Our printable guide will help you find the best fit for your feet! Just click the button below to print the guide and follow the instructions on the page (if you don't have access to a printer then scroll down for another option).
Note: before you print the guide, make sure your printer settings will not shrink or scale the page. Uncheck any boxes labeled "Fit to Printable Area" and/or set scaling options to "None."
Want more details? Check out this video for visual step-by-step instructions:
No Printer? No Problem!
You can still measure feet using the method below (also shown in our sizing videos). You can then scroll down and see where your measurements fall on our sizing charts to find the recommended shoe size. All you need is a book, a tape measure and a wall.
Note: we no longer recommend tracing your feet because it usually gives a larger measurement than the method described below. Our sizing charts work in accordance with the following method.
To measure your feet:
- 1. Remove shoes and socks and place the bare foot so that the heel is barely touching a wall.
- 2. Place a book in on the floor, parallel to the wall, so that it is barely touching the front of the longest toe.
- 3. Step away carefully and measure the distance from the book to the wall.
- 4. Scroll down and look for this measurement on the sizing charts below to find the recommended shoe size.
Once you find your length measurement, you can use table below to best find your corresponding size.
Wide/Narrow: Trouble deciding your width? Our best recommendation is to order a wide or narrow only if you have found you need those custom widths in other brands for your feet to be comfortable. If you have never found you needed wide or narrow shoes before then we suggest sticking with our regular width.
If you find yourself between two shoe sizes, we recommend ordering the larger size. This is especially true of our adult Phoenix Boots, Portlanders and Rogue casual shoes, which run a bit small.
The following list shows all of the leather colors used in our workshop.
You will notice that our smooth, full grain leathers come in a variety of grades and styles. We've found some of these to work well on certain shoes, but not on others. For this reason, when you choose to design your own shoe with smooth leather you will only see certain types available.
Click here or scroll to the bottom of this page to see descriptions of our different leather varieties.
Smooth LeathersNOVA White
NOVA Grass Green
SUBLIME Hot Pink
SUBLIME Deep Blue Sea
SUBLIME Sky Blue
AGED Aged Black
VEGETABLE TANNED Black
VEGETABLE TANNED Cocoa
VEGETABLE TANNED Dune
PLONGE Dark Hazelnut
PLONGE Royal Blue
PLONGE Robin Egg Blue
Suede LeathersSUEDE Grey
SUEDE Honey / Wheat
SUEDE Forest Green
SUEDE Medium Blue
SUEDE Black with Stars
SUEDE Cream with Gold Stars
Nova, Sublime, Plonge... What's the Difference?
- Smooth NOVA: A durable leather that is slightly stiffer than our other smooth leather options. Used for shoes that need the extra stiffness for proper support. This includes most of our shoes that are stitched directly to the sole, such as our Classics, Sandals, Ramblers and Merry Janes. Texture appearance looks the same as our Sublime and Vegetable Tanned leathers (though grain size can vary throughout every hide).
- Smooth SUBLIME: A durable smooth leather that is softer than Nova. We use this leather for our "turned" shoes (those that are made inside-out and then turned so the seams are on the inside) because the softer texture wraps around the foot well for a cozy fit. Used for our Roo moccasins, Metros, Dash RunAmocs and Original RunAmocs. Texture appearance looks the same as our Nova and Vegetable Tanned leathers (though grain size can vary throughout every hide).
- Cork: A very thin fabric lined with cork and gold speckles. This thin material is only available for decorative parts of certain design-your-own shoes, such as Dash RunAmoc sides or Ballerine heels.
- Smooth Aged Leather: This soft leather has been aged to give it a rustic look. It is used to make our Rogue shoes and select parts of our other design-your-own shoes.
- Vegetable-Tanned Leather: The only leather we import from Europe, due to it's highly sustainable properties. While all of our leather meets our sustainable standards (all of our leather is tanned without formaldehyde and colored with non-toxic food grade dye), this leather goes a step further with a purely vegetable-based tanning process using only grass-fed cows raised on controlled sustainable pastures in Germany's Bavarian Alps. Preferred by people with extreme chemical sensitivity. Due to it's high cost, there is an extra surcharge for use of vegetable-tanned leather in design-your-own shoes. Texture appearance looks similar to Nova and Sublime leathers. Please note this "naked" leather is likely to show cosmetic flaws and stains easily, even with just water.
- Shiny Leather: Smooth leather dyed with a glossy finish to give a shiny reflective look. Available for most of our design-your-own shoes that are made from either Nova or Sublime leather. Please note that shiny leather will dull with wear. Here's an example of Shiny Gold toddler moccasins worn for several weeks:
- Plonge Leather: The softest and lightest leather we could find! Since it is so thin and buttery soft, plonge leather works great for our baby Buttercup moccasins and the decorative trim on our adult Ballerine flats and is only used for these two styles.
- Suede Leather: Leather made from the lower layers of a hide to give a soft cloth-like texture. Available for most of our moccasins and RunAmocs.
- LITE Leather: A thin smooth leather covered in perforation holes. Great for giving your shoes extra ventilation, and a favorite for runners in hot climates. Used for our RunAmocs and Ballerines.
- Vegan Ultrasuede Leather: A synthetic animal-free material with a texture similar to suede. Used to make our vegan shoes.
Care Tips for Full Grain Leather Shoes
WHEN THEY FIRST ARRIVE:
Soft Star Shoes are made from eco-friendly leathers tanned in the USA. Leather is a natural product and some variation in texture and hide markings is to be expected. Because we use leather colored with non-toxic food grade dyes, there will likely be some initial color transfer to your socks or skin if your shoes become damp. This will decrease with use, but we don't recommend wearing your new Soft Stars with your favorite white socks the first time you take them for a spin.
If your shoes are a little snug at first in the toe box area, you can gently stretch them by stuffing the toe box with a dry cloth. Push the cloth tightly into the front of the shoe and let sit stuffed overnight to stretch. Do not use a damp cloth as the water can stain the leather or innersole of some leather types, rendering it non-returnable.
Most full grain leather we use is naturally water resistant, but our special vegetable-tanned leather (available only by custom selection on some of our design-your-own shoes) is a "naked" leather and will stain from water alone. You can clean shoes as needed with water dampened cloth and let air dry, but please note if you do this on vegetable-tanned leather then you will need to wet/stain the entire shoe to avoid water marks. Condition the leather as often as desired with any quality leather dressing, but be careful to keep it away from the edges of your rubber soles. Do not use mink oil on your shoes, as it can degrade the adhesion on bonded soles and cause the sole to separate from your shoe over time. We highly recommend Bee Natural Amore for general conditioning or Rain & Snow on leather for enhanced water resistance. The color on shiny metallic shoes will eventually patina with use into an antique wear look, which can be accelerated with repeated use to water and high wear (e.g. scuffing toes).
We do not recommend frequent washing of any leather product as it strips the leather of it's natural oils and tends to dry stiffer. For all of our leathers (except vegetable-tanned) you can clean by hand with a damp cloth, or if needed you can hand wash your leather shoes using a gentle shampoo and cool water. Let them air dry. Do not attempt to dry your shoes by exposing them to high heat, such as a clothes dryer, a hair dryer or by leaving them on a radiator or next to a fire. Doing so may damage leather or rubber soles.
We are often asked if our shoes can be washed in a washing machine. While not recommended as a normal course of action, when in dire straits the Elves have been known to toss a pair of shoes in the machine and generally have had good results. Just don't mix them with any other item because of color bleeding. Shoes with sheepskin can take 3-4 days to air dry if fully submerged in water, but you can speed up the drying by stuffing with old newspapers and replacing the paper twice a day.