- Features triangular elf trim around the heel in the color of your choice
- Soft leather uppers keep feet cozy!
- Genuine sheepskin innersoles keep feet dry in summer & warm in winter.
- Can be worn with or without socks.
- Indoor/dry outdoor shoe.
- Elastic ankle closure–easy on and stays on!
- Handcrafted in USA from premium, formaldehyde-free leathers.
- We can make most shoes within 4 business days (some exceptions apply).
- Design-Your-Own shoes in like-new condition are fully returnable/exchangeable according to the terms of our return policy.
Note: Adult Roo moccasins require a thicker grade of leather than our child or youth moccasins, so less color options are available for this shoe. Unless otherwise noted, the button will match the trim color.
Our standard Roo moccasins are made with traditional suede soles that are flexible and soft. This sole works well for both indoor and dry outdoor use. Suede is naturally durable and non-skid. Over time this soft leather will lovingly wear into a smoother, moisture-resistant surface.
Inside the shoe you will find generous sheepskin innersoles that keep the foot protected, dry and comfortable. Genuine sheepskin is nature's heat regulator—it keeps feet dry in the summer and cozy in the winter. Inner elastic hugs the ankle, making the shoe easy to slip on and stay on.
Write Your Own Review
Unsure about your size? Our printable guide will help you find the best fit for your feet! Just click the button below to print the guide and follow the instructions on the page (if you don't have access to a printer then scroll down for another option).
Note: before you print the guide, make sure your printer settings will not shrink or scale the page. Uncheck any boxes labeled "Fit to Printable Area" and/or set scaling options to "None."
Want more details? Check out this video for visual step-by-step instructions:
No Printer? No Problem!
You can still measure feet using the method below (also shown in our sizing videos). You can then scroll down and see where your measurements fall on our sizing charts to find the recommended shoe size. All you need is a book, a tape measure and a wall.
Note: we no longer recommend tracing your feet because it usually gives a larger measurement than the method described below. Our sizing charts work in accordance with the following method.
To measure your feet:
- 1. Remove shoes and socks and place the bare foot so that the heel is barely touching a wall.
- 2. Place a book in on the floor, parallel to the wall, so that it is barely touching the front of the longest toe.
- 3. Step away carefully and measure the distance from the book to the wall.
- 4. Scroll down and look for this measurement on the sizing charts below to find the recommended shoe size.
Once you find your length measurement, you can use table below to best find your corresponding size.
Wide/Narrow: Trouble deciding your width? Our best recommendation is to order a wide or narrow only if you have found you need those custom widths in other brands for your feet to be comfortable. If you have never found you needed wide or narrow shoes before then we suggest sticking with our regular width.
If you find yourself between two shoe sizes, we recommend ordering the larger size. This is especially true of our adult Phoenix Boots, Portlanders and Rogue casual shoes, which run a bit small.
The following list shows all of the leather colors used in our workshop.
You will notice that our smooth, full grain leathers come in a variety of grades and styles. We've found some of these to work well on certain shoes, but not on others. For this reason, when you choose to design your own shoe with smooth leather you will only see certain types available.
Click here or scroll to the bottom of this page to see descriptions of our different leather varieties.
Smooth LeathersNOVA White
NOVA Grass Green
SUBLIME Hot Pink
SUBLIME Deep Blue Sea
SUBLIME Sky Blue
AGED Aged Black
VEGETABLE TANNED Black
VEGETABLE TANNED Cocoa
VEGETABLE TANNED Dune
VEGETABLE TANNED Eggplant
PLONGE Dark Hazelnut
PLONGE Royal Blue
PLONGE Robin Egg Blue
Suede LeathersSUEDE Grey
SUEDE Honey / Wheat
SUEDE Forest Green
SUEDE Medium Blue
SUEDE Black with Stars
SUEDE Cream with Gold Stars
Nova, Sublime, Plonge... What's the Difference?
- Smooth NOVA: A durable leather that is slightly stiffer than our other smooth leather options. Used for shoes that need the extra stiffness for proper support. This includes most of our shoes that are stitched directly to the sole, such as our Classics, Sandals, Ramblers and Merry Janes. Texture appearance looks the same as our Sublime and Vegetable Tanned leathers (though grain size can vary throughout every hide).
- Smooth SUBLIME: A durable smooth leather that is softer than Nova. We use this leather for our "turned" shoes (those that are made inside-out and then turned so the seams are on the inside) because the softer texture wraps around the foot well for a cozy fit. Used for our Roo moccasins, Metros, Dash RunAmocs and Original RunAmocs. Texture appearance looks the same as our Nova and Vegetable Tanned leathers (though grain size can vary throughout every hide).
- Cork: A very thin fabric lined with cork and gold speckles. This thin material is only available for decorative parts of certain design-your-own shoes, such as Dash RunAmoc sides or Ballerine heels.
- Smooth Aged Leather: This soft leather has been aged to give it a rustic look. It is used to make our Rogue shoes and select parts of our other design-your-own shoes.
- Vegetable-Tanned Leather: The only leather we import from Europe, due to it's highly sustainable properties. While all of our leather meets our sustainable standards (all of our leather is tanned without formaldehyde and colored with non-toxic food grade dye), this leather goes a step further with a purely vegetable-based tanning process using only grass-fed cows raised on controlled sustainable pastures in Germany's Bavarian Alps. Preferred by people with extreme chemical sensitivity. Due to it's high cost, there is an extra surcharge for use of vegetable-tanned leather in design-your-own shoes. Texture appearance looks similar to Nova and Sublime leathers. Please note this "naked" leather is likely to show cosmetic flaws and stains easily, even with just water.
- Shiny Leather: Smooth leather dyed with a glossy finish to give a shiny reflective look. Available for most of our design-your-own shoes that are made from either Nova or Sublime leather. Please note that shiny leather will dull with wear. Here's an example of Shiny Gold toddler moccasins worn for several weeks:
- Plonge Leather: The softest and lightest leather we could find! Since it is so thin and buttery soft, plonge leather works great for our baby Buttercup moccasins and the decorative trim on our adult Ballerine flats and is only used for these two styles.
- Suede Leather: Leather made from the lower layers of a hide to give a soft cloth-like texture. Available for most of our moccasins and RunAmocs.
- LITE Leather: A thin smooth leather covered in perforation holes. Great for giving your shoes extra ventilation, and a favorite for runners in hot climates. Used for our RunAmocs and Ballerines.
- Vegan Ultrasuede Leather: A synthetic animal-free material with a texture similar to suede. Used to make our vegan shoes.
Care Tips for Suede Shoes
WHEN THEY FIRST ARRIVE:
Soft Star Shoes are made from eco-friendly, tanned in USA leathers. Leather is a natural product and some variation in texture and markings is to be expected. Because we use natural food grade dyes in our leather, there will likely be some initial color transference to your socks or skin if your shoes become damp. This will decrease with use, but please do not wear your new Soft Stars with your favorite white socks the first time you take them for a spin!
If your shoes are a little snug at first across the top of the toes, you can gently stretch them by stuffing the toe box with a slightly damp rag. Push the cloth tightly into the front of the shoe (don't worry, you won't hurt it). Let the stuffing sit in the shoes overnight to stretch the leather.
Use a suede brush to remove dirt. You can also choose to use a suede protector leathercare product. While not necessary, it will help keep your shoes looking new over time. Do not use generic leather care products on suede, but only those specifically formulated for suede. Products for full grain or smooth leather will be too oily and may permanently darken and matt suede fibers. Please do NOT use mink oil on any suede shoes - it will mat the fibers, and will break down the adhesive bond in soling on styles that have bonded soles.
When a suede brush is not enough, you can use a damp cloth or hand wash your suede shoes with a gentle shampoo and cool water. We do not recommend frequent washing of any leather product because it will strip the leather of it's natural oils and cause it to dry stiffer.
We are often asked if our shoes can be washed in a washing machine. While not recommended as a normal course of action, when in dire straits the Elves have been known to toss a pair of shoes in the machine and generally have had good results—just don't mix them with any other item because of color bleeding and do NOT put shoes the dryer. Shoes with sheepskin can take 3-4 days to air dry if fully submerged in water, but you can speed up the drying process by stuffing them with old newspapers and replacing the paper twice a day.