- Flexible, minimal Vibram rubber sole
- Buckles have a small piece of elastic so the strap flexes with the natural movement of your foot. This flex also makes it possible to pull your shoe on/off without opening and closing the buckle each time.
- The Velcro strap has a faux buckle which can be easily removed—a nice option if you often find yourself sitting cross-legged on floors. Velcro straps are fast and super easy to put on/off.
- Choose from your own colors, cutouts or appliqués
- Handcrafted in USA from premium, formaldehyde-free leathers.
- We can make most shoes within 4 business days (some exceptions apply).
- Design-Your-Own shoes in like-new condition are fully returnable/exchangeable according to the terms of our return policy.
The minimal, flexible design of this shoe allows natural foot function with a buckle closure for an adjustable fit. We hear from many women who tell us their foot pain disappears when they put on these Merry Janes! Made with our signature premium full grain leather and durable Vibram soles.
Need this shoe in a smaller size? Check out our Youth Design-Your-Own category.
- I love soft star merry janes!Review by Gretchen
- Best shoes for my feet allergiesReview by Merry
- better than I was thinkingReview by dorayme
- That's why my daugther loves her mary janesReview by Mom from Amsterdam
And I ordered some DYO shoes for my 3 year old and some north star boots for my other daughter who will be 1 next month.
I think I'm going to order some sheepskin boots for myself also because I think they'll be comfortable too.
Thanks for new SSS addiction, I thought they wouldn't be that great but they are :D (Posted on 10/10/13)
- Best shoes everReview by Mel
- FantasticReview by Kathleen
- Even better than I expectedReview by Christy
- AwesomenessReview by Kara
- Happy FeetReview by Lexi
Write Your Own Review
Unsure about your size? Our printable guide will help you find the best fit for your feet! Just click the button below to print the guide and follow the instructions on the page (if you don't have access to a printer then scroll down for another option).
Note: before you print the guide, make sure your printer settings will not shrink or scale the page. Uncheck any boxes labeled "Fit to Printable Area" and/or set scaling options to "None."
Want more details? Check out this video for visual step-by-step instructions:
No Printer? No Problem!
You can still measure feet using the method below (also shown in our sizing videos). You can then scroll down and see where your measurements fall on our sizing charts to find the recommended shoe size. All you need is a book, a tape measure and a wall.
Note: we no longer recommend tracing your feet because it usually gives a larger measurement than the method described below. Our sizing charts work in accordance with the following method.
To measure your feet:
- 1. Remove shoes and socks and place the bare foot so that the heel is barely touching a wall.
- 2. Place a book in on the floor, parallel to the wall, so that it is barely touching the front of the longest toe.
- 3. Step away carefully and measure the distance from the book to the wall.
- 4. Scroll down and look for this measurement on the sizing charts below to find the recommended shoe size.
Once you find your length measurement, you can use table below to best find your corresponding size.
Wide/Narrow: Trouble deciding your width? Our best recommendation is to order a wide or narrow only if you have found you need those custom widths in other brands for your feet to be comfortable. If you have never found you needed wide or narrow shoes before then we suggest sticking with our regular width.
If you find yourself between two shoe sizes, we recommend ordering the larger size. This is especially true of our adult Phoenix Boots, Portlanders and Rogue casual shoes, which run a bit small.
The following list shows all of the leather colors used in our workshop.
You will notice that our smooth, full grain leathers come in a variety of grades and styles. We've found some of these to work well on certain shoes, but not on others. For this reason, when you choose to design your own shoe with smooth leather you will only see certain types available.
Smooth LeathersNOVA White
NOVA Forest Green
NOVA Grass Green
NOVA Ultra Blue
NOVA Dark Purple
SUBLIME Hot Pink
SUBLIME Sky Blue
AGED Aged Black
VEGETABLE TANNED Cocoa
VEGETABLE TANNED Butternut
VEGETABLE TANNED Olive
VEGETABLE TANNED Grey Plum
Suede LeathersSUEDE Grey
SUEDE Forest Green
SUEDE Medium Blue
SUEDE Baby Leopard
SUEDE Cream with Stars
SUEDE Black with Stars
Vegan ULTRASUEDE Leathers
Elastic/Sport Closures (fabric, not leather)
Care Tips for Full Grain Leather Shoes
WHEN THEY FIRST ARRIVE:
Soft Star Shoes are made from eco-friendly, tanned in USA leathers. Leather is a natural product and some variation in texture and markings is to be expected. Because we use natural food-grade dyes in our leather, there will likely be some initial color transference to your socks or skin if your shoes become damp - this will decrease with use but please don't wear your new Soft Stars with your favorite white socks the first time you take them for a spin.
If your shoes are a little snug at first in the toe box area, you can gently stretch them by stuffing the toe box with a slightly damp rag. Push the cloth tightly into the front of the shoe - don't worry, you cannot hurt it! Let the shoes sit stuffed overnight to stretch.
The full grain leather we use is naturally water resistant. Clean as needed with water dampened rag and let air dry. Condition the leather as often as desired with any quality leather dressing, but take care to keep it away from the edges of your rubber soles. Mink oil can degrade the adhesion on bonded soles and cause the sole to separate from your shoe over time. We highly recommend Bee Natural Amore for general conditioning or Rain & Snow on leather for enhanced water resistance. The color on shiny metallic shoes will eventually patina with use into an antique wear look - this can be accelerated with repeated use to water and high wear (e.g. scuffing toes).
You can use a damp cloth, or if needed you can hand wash your leather shoes using a gentle shampoo and cool water. We don't recommend frequent washing of any leather product as it strips the leather of it's natural oils and tends to dry stiffer.
We are often asked if our shoes can be washed in a washing machine. While not recommended as a normal course of action, when in dire straits the Elves have been known to toss a pair of shoes in the machine and generally have had good results - just don't mix them with any other item because of color bleeding, and do NOT put shoes the dryer. Shoes with sheepskin can take 3-4 days to air dry if fully submerged in water - you can speed up the drying by stuffing with old newspapers and replacing the paper 2x a day.