- Product ID: 5066
- Shoe Style: RunAmoc - Primal
- Sole Type: Trail 5mm
- Shoe Size: Adult Size 10U (Men 10, Women 11)
- Width: Regular
- Shoe Color: Sublime Black Entire Shoe
- Innersole: Suede
- Shoe Closure: Laces
- Other Details: Cosmetic Defect - Slightly worn in photo shoot
Scroll down for FAQ regarding this shoe's design and fit.
With our groundbreaking Primal shoe, we’re busting boundaries and embracing the natural physiology of the human foot like never before. This minimal footwear design is the perfect marriage of modern innovation with a pre-shoe-era mindset when our feet could wildly roam the Earth, unencumbered.
As shoemakers, we understand that one shoe does not fit all. Over the years, some of our customers have been asking for even more toe room, and this design is an answer to that enthusiastic feedback. This shoe will be the ideal solution for anyone seeking to maintain or restore natural foot function.
This Primal in smooth black leather is a versatile crossover that will seamlessly transition from athletic shoe and an everyday casual shoe. Whether you’re hunting for new adventures on a trail or gathering the kids from practice, this shoe will give you the flexible, strong foundation you need. And barefoot runners, tell your toes to get ready to flex, spread and party like it’s the Paleolithic era!
- Innovative sole shape with extra roomy toe box.
- Flexible, breathable materials for the ultimate in free foot movement.
- Made with premium, responsibly sourced leathers.
- Comes with a durable VibramTM 5mm Trail Sole.
- Zero-drop sole between toe and heel.
- Toe cap for extra toe durability made from upcycled bicycle inner tubes (click "Upcycled Toe Cap" tab above for more info).
- Padded breathable tongue for snug, secure fit.
- Expanded lacing system with extra eyestays for a customized fit.
- Can be worn with or without socks.
- Made in USA: designed and handcrafted in Oregon.
At this time, sole and width options and color customizations are not available for Primal RunAmocs, but these options will be added in spring of 2018.
Since the Primal RunAmoc has such a unique shape, we receive many questions about its design and fit. Here are some of the most common concerns we encounter:
Should I order the same size in a Primal RunAmoc as I do for a Dash RunAmoc?
Most likely, yes. We strive to keep sizing as consistent as possible across all styles and the length of the Primal sole is the same length as our other sole shape. The majority of our testers of the Primal RunAmoc wore the same size as they wear in our Dash RunAmoc, but a small percentage preferred one size smaller. Variations with the way the uppers are designed along with subtle differences in an individual’s foot shape can change how a shoe feels, plus many people have different preferences for how snug or loose they prefer a shoe to fit. We recommend trying the same size you wear for Dash RunAmocs and rest assured that we offer an easy return/exchange process if needed.
I see you have regular, wide and narrow for other styles. What width is the Primal? How wide is it? Can you tell me if it is wide enough for my feet?
Please note: for the initial release of the Primal RunAmoc only regular widths are available, but we will offer more width options in the spring of 2018.
The width of the Primal toe box is much wider than any other shoes we make, but the uppers and overall fit of the shoe are designed to fit snugly at your midfoot and back. Some customers prefer the narrow width aesthetically, but keep in mind the purpose of the shoe is to accommodate full toe splay while running. If you have had to order wide Softstar shoes in the past simply because you wanted more room for toes to spread, then our regular width Primal RunAmoc will likely work very well for you. On the other hand, if you needed a wide shoe in the past because your instep felt too tight in regular shoes then you will probably need a wide width for the Primal RunAmoc (available in a few months).
Is the shoe also wider in the heel?
Can I get the toe cap on other shoes?
No. The unique Primal toe cap is only available on our Primal shoe.
Will the Primal sole shape be offered on more shoe styles?
Possibly. Currently this sole shape is only available for the Primal RunAmoc, but our designers are already testing it with some of our other existing styles. Depending on customer response to this shoe, we may add additional styles with this sole shape in 2018.
Write Your Own Review
Find Your Size!
You can measure your feet at home using a book, a ruler and a wall. You can then see where the measurement fits on our charts below to find the recommended Softstar shoe size.
Note: we no longer recommend tracing your feet because it usually gives a larger measurement than the method described below. Our sizing charts work in accordance with the following method.
To measure your feet:
- 1. Remove shoes and socks and place your bare foot so that the heel is barely touching a wall.
- 2. Place a book in on the floor, parallel to the wall, so that it is barely touching the front of the longest toe.
- 3. Step away carefully and measure the distance from the book to the wall.
- 4. Scroll down and look for this measurement on the sizing charts below to find the recommended shoe size.
Once you find your length measurement, you can use table below to best find your corresponding size.
Wide/Narrow: Trouble deciding your width? Our best recommendation is to order a wide or narrow only if you have found you need those custom widths in other brands for your feet to be comfortable. If you have never found you needed wide or narrow shoes before then we suggest sticking with our regular width.
If you find yourself between two shoe sizes, we recommend ordering the larger size. This is especially true of our adult Phoenix Boots and Rogue casual shoes, which run a bit small.
Printable Stand-On Size Guides
We recommend using the measuring method shown above for the most accurate sizing, but if you'd like a simpler method then you may want to try our printable size guide. Just print the guide below and follow the instructions on the page.
Note: before you print the guide, make sure your printer settings will not shrink or scale the page. Uncheck any boxes labeled "Fit to Printable Area" and/or set scaling options to "None."
The following list shows all of the leather colors used in our workshop.
You will notice that our smooth, full grain leathers come in a variety of grades and styles. We've found some of these to work well on certain shoes, but not on others. For this reason, when you choose to custom design a shoe with smooth leather you will only see certain types available.
Discontinued leather colors are in a separate chart further down on this page. You will no longer find these colors as custom options for new shoes, but you may find them among our Sole Mate or clearance sale shoes.
Click here or scroll to the bottom of this page to read descriptions of our different leather varieties.
Nubuck LeathersNUBUCK Pebble
Discontinued LeathersThese colors are no longer available for new shoes, but you may find them among our pre-made Sole Mate shoes or clearance sale items.
Nova, Sublime, Plonge... What's the Difference?
- Smooth NOVA: A durable leather that is slightly stiffer than our other smooth leather options. Used for shoes that need the extra stiffness for proper support. This includes most of our shoes that are stitched directly to the sole, such as our Classics, Sandals, Ramblers and Merry Janes. Texture appearance looks the same as our Sublime and Vegetable Tanned leathers, though grain size can vary throughout every hide.
- Smooth SUBLIME: A durable smooth leather that is softer than Nova. We use this leather for our "turned" shoes (those that are made inside-out and then turned so the seams are on the inside) because the softer texture wraps around the foot well for a cozy fit. Used for our Roo moccasins, Dash RunAmocs and Primal RunAmocs. Texture appearance looks the same as our Nova and Vegetable Tanned leathers, though grain size can vary throughout every hide.
- Cork: A very thin fabric lined with cork and gold speckles. This thin material is only available for decorative parts of certain custom shoes, such as Dash RunAmoc sides or Ballerine heels.
- Smooth Aged Leather: This soft leather has been distressed to give it a rustic look. It is used to make our Rogue shoes and select parts of our other custom shoes.Please note: aged leather peels easily when scuffed.
- Vegetable-Tanned Leather: The only leather we import from Europe, due to it's highly sustainable properties. While all of our leather meets our sustainable standards (all of our leather is tanned without formaldehyde and colored with non-toxic food grade dye), this leather goes a step further with a purely vegetable-based tanning process using only grass-fed cows raised on controlled sustainable pastures in Germany's Bavarian Alps. Preferred by people with extreme chemical sensitivity. Due to it's high cost, there is an extra surcharge for use of vegetable-tanned leather in custom shoes. Texture appearance looks similar to Nova and Sublime leathers, though grain size can vary throughout every hide. Please note this "naked" leather is likely to show cosmetic flaws and stains easily, even with just water.
- Shiny Leather: Smooth leather dyed with a glossy finish to give a shiny reflective look. Available for most of our custom shoes that are made from either Nova or Sublime leather. Please note that shiny leather will dull with wear. Here's an example of Shiny Gold toddler moccasins worn for several weeks:
- Plonge Leather: The softest and lightest leather we could find! Since it is so thin and buttery soft, plonge leather works great for our baby Buttercup moccasins and the decorative trim on our adult Ballerine flats and is only used for these two styles.
- Suede Leather: Leather made from the lower layers of a hide to give a soft cloth-like texture. Available for select shoes, including kids' moccasins, adult Dash RunAmocs and the heels of our Ballerine flats.
- Nubuck Leather: A top-grain bovine leather that has been sanded or buffed on the grain side, or outside, to give a slight nap of short protein fibers for a velvet-like surface. Nubuck is unique because it has the durability of a top-grain leather with a soft touch that feels similar to a suede leather. Used for adult Roo moccasins and select special edition shoes.
- LITE Leather: A thin smooth leather covered in perforation holes to give shoes extra ventilation. LITE leather is a favorite for runners in hot climates as it helps keep feet cool and dry. Used for our RunAmocs and Ballerines.
- Vegan Ultrasuede Leather: A synthetic animal-free material with a texture similar to suede. Used to make our vegan shoes.